“Little gem in the Meatpacking District”
Review of 5 Ninth - CLOSED

5 Ninth
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: Gansevoort
Transit: M11 and M14-A Bus Lines. Blue Line, A.C.E. subway trains to 14th Street.
Washington, DC
“Little gem in the Meatpacking District”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I just visited 5 Ninth for the third time, and have had equally good experiences each time. It is a cozy little gem, very different in its vibe from the surrounding restaurants. The service is great, and the food has a sublime simplicity to it which is consistently excellent. I have had seafood each time, and it has been expertly prepared. The garden is a delightful spot on a warm evening, and the bar is welcoming and not too noisy. Highly recommend for an intimate dinner with friends after a walk on the Highline for a perfect New York evening!

New York City, New York
“Cool place, average food”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I went for brunching. The host was quite bad, we sat at the bar for 15 minutes while they prepared our table in the garden and the bartender didn't even look at us.
Food was average (uncooked eggs, not so good home fries...).
Our server was lovely, though. The space is very nice (specially the garden) and so is the live music.

Nyack, New York
“A Great Surpirse - Loved it!”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I had brunch on Father's Day with my two kids (16 and 18) at 5 Ninth. We ate in the outdoor courtyard. I had a Seared Yellow fin Tuna with Avocado, spicy aioli on tostada. It was an amazing interpretation of a gourmet fish taco. My son had the best challah French Toast I've ever had (he agreed) and my daughter had Seared Salmon on Sourdough with Tzatziki sauce, cucumbers and baby arugula.

The restaurant is both rustic and beautiful inside. The courtyard is so beautiful. We all were incredibly surprised by how good the food was.

1 Thank adamlipson
Copenhagen Denmark
“lovely back yard”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I only came for drinks so can't comment on the food. The restaurant is cosy, the back yard is a super spot for summer days and -nights. Service is friendly. A bit pricey, though, but worth it because of the setting.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank katrineCPH
shanghai
“They ask for a tip after slapping 20% service charge!”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We thought this place looked cute from the outside and the garden inside looked cosy. But the lukewarm service was a warning sign. When we got the bill, we could not believe that there was a 20% service charge automatically added to the bill. Even more incredibly, the receipt had the following words: PLEASE TIP YOUR SERVER. Wow! Does anyone know if the 20% service charge can be disputed? I do not mind paying for good service, but it is disturbing when the tip is slapped on without asking.. and even more is requested! Avoid at all cost!!!

• Visited May 2012