“Perfect for my needs.”

Solita Soho Hotel
Ranked #354 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Perfect for my needs.”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Traveling on a budget, I needed a reasonably priced room in the SoHo neighborhood. The Solita filled the bill just fine. A modern room, great bathroom (loved the dual head shower!), clean, quiet for NYC, with a friendly and helpful staff. No surprises with plenty of options for dining with Little Italy and Chinatown a couple of blocks away. The subway entrance on Canal St. was very close so you could get around the city easily. I've found my hotel for southern Manhattan!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Peter A, General Manager at Solita Soho Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Good morning,

I am extremely pleased to hear how great your stay was. If I had a dollar for every time I heard about our showerheads and how good they are, I would own a hotel. Lol . Thank you so much for your kind review, and as always please feel free to contact me directly if you need anything, especially when you are coming back to the city.

Peter Asciolla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We enjoyed our stay in Solita Soho Hotel.This hotel was a very good price though not luxurious.
The room was small but warm and temperature control easy to adjust. Beds were very comfortable and showers worked well. Daily room service was efficient and the hotel staff pleasant and helpful.
It was quiet at night considering it was a very busy neighbourhood being an Italian and Chinese Area.

Room Tip: If you are on the big size as a couple the double bed may be too small
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Peter A, General Manager at Solita Soho Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
We thank you for taking time out to write a very nice review. We greatly appreciate any feedback from our guests. Whatever it takes to make our customers stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. I sure hope you enjoyed your stay in N.Y.C, and we hope you stay with us again. Please don’t hesitate to give me a call directly if you need anything.

Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

I would like to start by saying that it is all about managing expectations. My expectation was that I stay in a boutique hotel, in a great neighbourhood, with updated interiors at a decent rate. I am happy to say that I received all of that and more. There were no issues with booking the hotel and on arrival we were welcomed and provided with a very courteous and friendly check in. Yes, the rooms are tiny, bit this is NYC. If you want to spend $400-600 a night at a hotel with multiple bars, restaurants and other amenities onsite, go ahead. If you want super comfortable beds, clean rooms, modern baths with fantastic showers, then stay here.
As far as staff goes, Amanda was extremely helpful and offered us an excellent recommendation for dinner as we arrived late. I didn't catch her name but the other female staff member who helped us also went out of her way to assist with printing out our boarding passes and holding our luggage while we ran out before heading to the airport.
As I mentioned at the beginning of my post, it is all about expectations. NYC is big, loud, and seemingly forever under construction, if you can't deal with that then perhaps choose another destination. People here are as friendly to you as you are to them so I ask that you consider that when reading through reviews that are overtly negative because we loved it here and have nothing but positive things to say.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Melissa D
Peter A, General Manager at Solita Soho Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
From all of our staff at the Solita Soho Hotel, we wanted to thank you for your wonderful review. We make it our number one goal to try and make each stay as wonderful as possible, for each and every guest. As a brand new general manager to this hotel, I am pleased to hear Amanda and staff were very helpful. They take pride in their customer service. Please give us a call if you are ever staying in NYC again. Have a wonderful day.

Fairfield, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed January 29, 2014

The location and price of this hotel room were perfect for what we needed on this overnight in Soho. We did not plan on spending much time in the room. It was really just a place to crash for the night. We found the beds comfortable, shower pressure strong and good wifi. The room was tight but we were not there to hang out...we were there to sleep and shower. If you want a place with larger spaces and a lobby where you can people watch this is not the place for you. If you want a comfortable room, friendly service, great SOHO location at a great rate I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark N
Troy, New York
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I made a reservation through Agoda for a Queen bedroom at a decent price. Given one of the most recent reviews about the hotel not having a room despite the traveler having a reservation, I called ahead to let them I know I was coming. They confirmed that I had a reservation.
When I got there, they gave me a room with two slightly over-sized twin beds. I showed them my reservation but apparently they did not have a Queen room available. Make no mistake: the rooms with two beds do not have two full size beds, but two larger single/twin beds. The front desk help was apologetic but that's about it. Luckily I like my girlfriend so we made do in a single bed but a Queen would have been so much better for any couple.
Then I received a 6:30 am wake up call. I did not order one however. Its clear that the person who was to be in my room asked for a Queen room and I got their double room and their wake up call. Not a great trade.
But all of this is random. You may not have the same problem. BUT you will experience intense construction noise because NYC is relining the sewer on Grand Street right outside the hotel. This job will be going of for a while, and it is noisy, even on the 10th floor where we were. Based on my review of the City's Design and Development website, here's a link, I'm not making this up (www.nyc.gov/html/mancb3/downloads/construction/Grand%20St%20Newsletter.pdf) this job includes night time construction and won't be completed until the Spring of 2017. Also there are two development sites - for ground up building construction - across the corner. So while yes, its NYC and there is always construction, this hotel happens to be in a perfect storm of construction projects. I would not stay here even if offered a free room for the noise reasons.
On the plus side, if you don't care about getting woken up either through an erroneous wake up call at 6:30 am or construction at 7 am, the shower heads are indeed very nice and the beds are good quality. The location is great for seasoned NYC travelers as well (though if you are new to the City, I would not stay here).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DavidAllanBro
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

If you are hoping to stay at the Solita with more than 2 people I would not recommend it. The rooms are tiny and the described double beds are not double at all. There is almost no space to move and the rooms are not of average size in NYC as compared to various other rooms I have stayed in in NYC. The staff were very rarely willing to help and acted like it was a chore when help was acquired. The room is overpriced for what it is. Save your money on this one.

• Stayed December 2013
6 Thank Lly33
Andrew B, General Manager at Solita Soho Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Hello and thank for you sharing your experience with us. I am sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. I am also disappointed that the service you received seemed cold. In most cases we pride ourselves on our ability to provide top notch service as indicated by most of our other reviews. I apologize that we fell short on this aspect during your stay. Our rooms although a bit on the small side do seem to accommodate most guests. But I do understand they are not suited to everyone’s needs. I hope you do return and give us another chance in the future to provide you with a typical experience. Thanks again for reviewing our hotel and have a great day!

Kind Regards,

Andrew Brogdon
Cliffside Park, New Jersey
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I can't rate the quality of the hotel, since we never got to stay in it. My husband and I live in Bergen County, NJ, very close to Manhattan. Every year for my birthday we spend a night in a Manhattan hotel so we can have a nice dinner, see a play, get up the next morning and walk around the city looking at all the Christmas displays, all without having to drive or spend a lot on public transportation. We made a reservation at the Solita because of its location. The reservation was made more than a week before our trip and was prepaid through American Express. When we arrived there we were told that they didn't have a room for us, but they could put us up at a Sheraton in Brooklyn. We asked if they could find us anything else in Manhattan, but they said no. It would take us longer to get to Brooklyn than to our home, so we just cancelled. We ended up going home after the show, instead of stopping a a club like we planned since we didn't want to drink and drive. The next morning we didn't want to drive in during rush hour so we could have our planned brunch, so we just punted. The hotel had our contact information - couldn't they have let us know that the were booked earlier so we could have made other arrangements?

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jupisano
Good day and thank you for reviewing our hotel. I sincerely apologize that we could not accommodate you on the night of your stay, and especially on your birthday! Due to circumstances beyond our control we did not have a room available at the time of your arrival. We tried our best to relocate the reservation in Manhattan but unfortunately there was nothing available at the time. In the very rare instance that we do have to relocate reservations we always try to contact the guest before hand to inform them. Unfortunately with pre paid reservations we are not given any guest contact information so it makes it very difficult. I do hope that you give us another chance in the future as our location is very ideal and our service is also very attentive and personal. Again, I sincerely apologize! Thanks for sharing your experience with us and have a great day!

Kind Regards,