“Who needs Kenny's Philosophy when there is a great place around the corner!”

Shopsin's General Store
Ranked #3,782 of 13,763 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Ely, United Kingdom
“Who needs Kenny's Philosophy when there is a great place around the corner!”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

My Husband and I visited Shopsin's General Store a few times over the last 5 years... it was fun to play the game and feel like you are liked by Kenny, but really its 'Old Hat' now! We were meeting a friend of mine who just happened to bring her sweet 2.5 year old with her and we were with my Husbands brother... yes you've got it we had become a 'Party of 5'!! It was snowing and miserable outside and my husband ended up in an argument with a sleazy, dirty looking guy, who was the waiter, while Kenny looked on... The joke is old and really this is not much fun, we know we are pieces of s**t but we would rather give our money to the great place round the corner ( Schiller's Liquor Barr, 131,Rivington Street 212 260 455) than be treated like s**t!! So I say thank you for publishing your book 'Eat Me' I can now make Shopsin style food in the comfort of my own UK home and invite as many people as I like!!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank SueS927

• Finnish first
Eastchester, New York
“Great breakfast spot”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My wife were a bit wary of trying Shopsin's after some of the negative reviews, even though the overall reviews are excellent. We were pleasantly surprised at the wonderful service we received when we stopped here for breakfast just before heading to the Tenement Museum a few blocks away. Shopsin's is at one end of the Essex Street Market, and we arrived right as they opened at 9am. No, line, no waiting, and the waiter was courteous and fast bringing us water and menus. We had researched the menu online prior to our visit, but he provided us ample time to choose. I ordered the Mo'Betta, which was mac and cheese pancakes with eggs and bacon in between. It was served with maple syrup (mini-bottle, but real maple syrup) and a bottle of sauce which they must make themselves and appeared to be tobasco-based. My wife ordered a 1/2 stack of pecan pancackes. Both our meals were delicious, it was truly amazing how the mac and cheese really does work with the pancakes. The crunch was perfect.

Shopsin was sitting in his usual spot, chatting with a woman and pontificating about fast food, chains, politics, etc. It was fun to listen to him. The waiter was attentive throughout the meal, asked about where we were from and offered his congratulations when we told him we were in NYC for our anniversary.

Definitely a destination to visit for breakfast or lunch if you are heading anywhere near the neighborhood.

• Visited March 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
“Don't bother”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

My girlfriends and I ate here a couple years ago and thoroughly enjoyed our meals. We knew that the owner had some bizarre rules and we followed all of them. We tried to go there again - my mouth was watering for the mac n' cheese pancakes. We arrived around 11:15 - they opened at 11:00 - to an empty restaurant. Kenny (the owner) and three others were the only people there. The chairs were turned upside down on the tables. One of the guys asked us how many were in our party - there were 5. This guy and Kenny chatted so we couldn't hear them then the guy walked over to us and said he couldn't seat us. When asked why, he just said they couldn't handle a party of 5. When we pointed out that there were no other patrons, they said "I know, I asked Kenny and he said no". We even suggested sitting at 2 separate tables and we were still told no. Unbelievable! When we talked to the caramel vendor next door, he said we had probably been banned for life since we tried to eat there with five people in our party.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Greengal06
California
“Interesting...”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This place is the center of the documentary "I like killing flies". A great film by the way. The restaurant is located inside the Essex street market. It is extremely small and you will most likely wait. The owner and Chef Kenny Shopsin is an eccentric guy who has eccentric food. The menu contains about 900 items. The menu take 30 minutes to read. The food is tasty but not refined..its not trying to be refined. The portions are generous and the ambiance is "Americana Dive" The staff has a little attitude which i feel is part of the vibe. On the whole the food is tasty and very interesting but not transcendental. It is worth a stop if in the area, or you are a fan of the film

Visited November 2012
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Brilliant, unique place.”
Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

A truly unique and wonderful place (one of my favourite two places to eat in the world) - but don't go unless you're happy with the full Shopsin philosophy - you need to find out what it is first and seriously consider...