“Brilliant, unique place.”

Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Brilliant, unique place.”
Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

A truly unique and wonderful place (one of my favourite two places to eat in the world) - but don't go unless you're happy with the full Shopsin philosophy - you need to find out what it is first and seriously consider...

• Finnish first
Georgetown, Canada
“Eclectic - indeed!”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I'm going to say excellent but with a little reservation. The food is very good. We ordered the mac and cheese pancakes, the mo'Jemima, the ten condiment sandwich and the Jewboy brisket. The Jewboy was very good, and everything else was super good.

It's worth studying the menu before you arrive to get an idea of what you want. Don't go if you have any food allergies, don't be obnoxious, don't talk on your cell phone, don't bring little kids, don't take pictures, no more than four in your party. Basically pick what you want from the menu as you read it, and patiently wait for it. Don't ask for substitutions. Don't ask for recommendations. If it's not on the menu as printed, go elsewhere.

If you follow these simple suggestions you're in for an epicurean delight. If you don't, you'll get booted out after waiting as long as you did for a table, and maybe even yelled at.... and then booted out. <laughing>

It's run by some intriguing personalities.

• Visited October 2012
Savannah, Georgia
“Vile”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Vile food and a vile man. The place appeared filthy, as did the employees, including the cook. Everything about the visit was nauseating. there is a delicious Japanese to go store, a great little sandwich to go place, and wonderful cheese store all in Essex market, so there is no reason to visit this disgusting dump.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank slonim
New York, New York, United States
“Scandalous”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I got there because it was recommended for its amazing pancakes. When we arrived we waited 45 minutes in the line to get seated. Then a friend wanted to join us and the bandana waiter began to get upset and told us to leave. He snatchep my milk out of my mouth and began to yell at me. I kept polite and then the cooker joined and began to yell: "We don't want to serve you, you're bothering us, just get out". It was scandalous, I had never seen such a behaviour before. I assume their food is good but I just cannot imagine such people can exist.

• Visited August 2012
3 Thank Sarah H
Collingswood, New Jersey
“A must visit on the LES”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

After browsing Yelp looking for breakfast places on the LES I became intrigued with Shopsin's. A legendary New Yawker with many supporters and detractors, I was hooked by the extensive menu and the "rules" of dining at Kenny's place. I minded my manners waiting in line and smartly avoided questioning why I could not sit at the open seat at the counter. After about 1/2 hour wait i was seated and ordered a banana/strawberry Smoothie and the Iran "Slutty cakes". About another 30 minutes later I dug into my food and thoroughly enjoyed the pistachio, banana pancakes and the beverage. My dining companions around me ordered other amusingly named breakfasts which looked good and were heaped onto the plates. I will definitely check this place out again but would try to get there earlier to avoid some of the waiting on line. The wait time for the food cannot be avoided because the kitchen (and likely Kenny) can only accomodate one order at a time. Still the food was really good and I got through the meal without being cursed at or thrown out. For a true breakfast/lunch adventure I would highly recommend checking it out.

Visited June 2012