“A must visit on the LES”

Shopsin's General Store
Ranked #3,485 of 13,559 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, International
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Collingswood, New Jersey
“A must visit on the LES”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

After browsing Yelp looking for breakfast places on the LES I became intrigued with Shopsin's. A legendary New Yawker with many supporters and detractors, I was hooked by the extensive menu and the "rules" of dining at Kenny's place. I minded my manners waiting in line and smartly avoided questioning why I could not sit at the open seat at the counter. After about 1/2 hour wait i was seated and ordered a banana/strawberry Smoothie and the Iran "Slutty cakes". About another 30 minutes later I dug into my food and thoroughly enjoyed the pistachio, banana pancakes and the beverage. My dining companions around me ordered other amusingly named breakfasts which looked good and were heaped onto the plates. I will definitely check this place out again but would try to get there earlier to avoid some of the waiting on line. The wait time for the food cannot be avoided because the kitchen (and likely Kenny) can only accomodate one order at a time. Still the food was really good and I got through the meal without being cursed at or thrown out. For a true breakfast/lunch adventure I would highly recommend checking it out.

Visited June 2012

• Finnish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Loved it, attitude and all!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

My 13 year old son and I ate breakfast here during our recent trip to NYC. Yes, the waiter had what can only be described as an unusual attitude to customer service, but as someone who lived in London during the height of the Punk revolution in the seventies , the snarley affectation of our waiter was really rather funny, certainly it entertained us... But I digress... The food, my goodness the food, sublime...the butterscotch French toast was quite simply out of this world, ( not a sentence this ex punk ever thought she would be typing when snarling at commuters on the Bakerloo line circa1979 ) but then we all grow up ,as I'm sure our bandana wearing waiter will do, but whilst he still provides a sideshow get yourself down there, every dish that came out of that tiny kitchen looked incredible....

Visited April 2012
1 Thank Lavieenrose50
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Great breakfast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

This hidden gem is tucked away in the Essex Market building in the lower east side. Its tiny but delicious. The menu is dizzying with everything from burgers, to pancakes, to duck confit. They have 5 different varieties of Monte Cristo! Your first thought is "how could they possibly pull all this off out of that tiny kitchen?" But they really do! My wife and I went for breakfast. She had the lemon ricotta blueberry pancakes I had the famous mac n cheese pancakes with chorizo and hatch. This was close to one of my all-time favorite breakfasts. I didn't know what to expect but what came to the table was delicious! Savory and sweet, crunchy and tender, just flat out good! They were even better with the generous bottle of house-made hot sauce that came out with them. Service is gruff at best, but that's all just part of the atmosphere. Other diners ordered a variety of items off the encyclopedic menu and every single dish that rolled past our table looked incredible. Don't miss this place if you're in the neighborhood. A couple of tips-
1. Go early- We got there at around 10am on a Sunday and had to wait only a couple of minutes for a table. By the time we finished our meal there was a line down the block!
2. Bring cash- They don't take plastic.

Visited April 2012
on my feet
“(supposedly) surly service+tasty food+occasional drama = foodie heaven, but mediocre experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

i really wanted to love this place, but never really received the full kenny shopsin experience that i hoped to receive. i actually wanted to get bounced, to see what some of his vaunted abuse was like, but despite my violation of the rule on waiting behind the sign, i got seated by his son without incident. handed the menu, i had very little wait before getting my order in, and the service was pretty friendly and helpful. yes, the wait for the actual food was longer than the typical nyc minute, but it arrived in a reasonable time, and was quite tasty. was it elevated above a solid diner? not really--other than unique flavour combos, the ingredients, preparation, and presentation are all standard diner level. i was hoping for eccentric behaviour or superlative food to justify the hype, but got neither. i freely chatted with both kenny and his son, asked questions, got answers, and far from being a regular, it was my first ever visit.

• Visited March 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
“Superlative breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2012

Huge menu, slow service, excellent food. In other words, a typical fave for NYC.

If you can find this place and can get there early enough to get a seat, it is definitely worth the money and the hassle.

• Visited January 2012