“Go Go to this dim sum restaurant!”
Review of Dim Sum Go Go

Dim Sum Go Go
Ranked #2,114 of 13,937 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I've tried a few other dim sum places in New York's Chinatown, and so far this is the best. When we had lunch there it was very busy, but our waitstaff was quite prompt with tea and food. This isn't the type of restaurant where they will stand by and cater to your every need...these people are all go, go, go (like their name). Our waiter was helpful, since he pointed out if we added a few more items it would be cheaper to get the multi-piece deal than all individual pieces with a few less items. Cool! What I like about this little dim sum place, compared to others in the area, is that it felt slightly "Americanized" since I never felt like I had to wonder what was in anything I was eating. This is definitely our new GO to place for dim sum in New York!

1  Thank StripeyS
There are newer reviews for Dim Sum Go Go

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Food was great here but the service was incredibly bad. It's been a long time since I have not left a tip at a restaurant.

We got there late at 10PM but the door said 11PM so we thought we'd be fine. The host didn't seem to want to seat us although the entire restaurant was vacant with the exception of 1 table and another guy eating alone. When we sat down, he said "Order now." The waiter was again quite insistent and said they were closing at 10:30PM. We ordered a dozen pieces of dim sum and drinks. Well, actually we ordered dim sum and were told "No more!" right after we ordered. That was a little confusing. We had to go ask the waiter if we could have drinks because he wasn't paying attention to us. The dim sum came out in pairs and triplets, like normal. Sometimes we were told what it was. At the end of the meal, the waiter brought the check and said "Pay now." Again, I was a bit confused at the attitude toward the customer. I looked at the bill and realized I had no idea what we were getting charged for but we still hadn't gotten 2 pieces of the order. When I asked him about it, he got mad and walked off. He came back a little while later and said "No. No more." It took a bit of going back and forth for him to explain that the cook didn't want to cook anymore so we weren't getting our two desert dim sum...but he did seem it was nice of himself that he hadn't charged us. After I gave him the credit card, he ran it immediately and stood over me while I signed. I was so blown away that I didn't leave anything for a tip. I thought about leaving a little cash but I felt completely awkward with him hovering over me at the moment that I didn't want to write anything in. He took it, looked at it, and then confronted me rather brashly with, "Why you leave no tip??!" At this point, I was a little tired of the poor treatment and the extent to which we had to obtain food and drinks. I tried to explain to him that there had been no service so he got no tip. He was very irritated and brought out the cook, trying to blame it on him.

In all, the food was pretty tasty although it was a bit expensive and I had to go to another restaurant afterwards to fill up. The service was incredibly bad. I have no problem going to a fast food place where I do not expect any service. This was that level but like pulling teeth to get our stuff and make sure we got the right things. I wouldn't bother going back because there are many other places to try out in Chinatown. The second place I went was the complete opposite in service---the guy seemed to want to give me a high five when I ordered jelly fish. Dim Sum "NO" Go Go should be the new name until they learn how to care for customers and get a basic grasp of English so as to not appear offensive (my wife's an immigrant and I have lived abroad so that's not meant to be derogatory).

Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

The place is easy to find. Usually you have to wait for 10-15 minutes for a table 'cause the place is very popular!
I would recommend to order a set of different dim-sum first - it consists of 8 pieces - and then choose your favorite for the next order. Soups are also nice and warming!

Reviewed January 4, 2013

It's hard to find good Dim Sum in China Town that isn't cheap (in terms of quality) or geared towards tourists. This place however is a stand out.

Open on New Years Day, they cater mostly to locals. It's made to order dim sum. You check it off the sheet as if you were ordering sushi. They bring it to you hot and fresh. This is much better than the carts they typically wheel around in other restaurants. You never know how fresh those dishes are - but here you get what you want made to order hot and fresh.

For 2 people, and 5 dishes, lunch was $16. A great find in Chinatown and a great lunch spot.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

San Franciscan with lots of dim sum experience and I truly enjoyed the food and atmosphere. Red and white and mirrors without Chinese garishness. Staff maintained excellent demeanor through mistakes and indecisive patrons. The hostess was especially friendly, even after a very long Sunday filled with tourists. We laughed when she came out with a bag of Doritos and said, "Sometimes I get tired of Chinese food." The bamboo shoot soup was flavorful. The dim sum dishes were tasty and well made. The photo menu was helpful to the newbies. A quick walk from the Wall Street area (we visited Ground Zero at dusk) on a cold December day, we were happy with our efforts.