“Unforgettable”

Grand Central Oyster Bar & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Grand Central Oyster Bar & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #409 of 14,216 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Vanderbilt and Lexington
Transit: Metro North; 4,5,6,7; Times Square Shuttle
Description: Grand Central Oyster Bar is the ultimate experience for any seafood. Lover. From the market to your plate, we've spent nearly a hundred years perfecting our seafood dishes. Every morning, the chef goes to the New Fulton Fish Market to personally pick the day's freshest seafood. Everything from lobster to different kinds of fish is hand-picked for the best flavor and freshness. We're most famous for our oysters though, with over 30 different varieties on any given day. Have your dishes prepared minimally, or choose to have your meal in the form of a po' boy. Whatever floats your boat. To go with your Oysters, our extensive wine list has over 400 wines by the glass or bottle, 55 of which are priced under $38. We love sharing our great seafood, so we like to keep everything, including our prices, accessible. Come in for our Happy Hours (menu on website), where you and your friends can pick up some fresh food and drinks at prices so good it's fishy! Across our restaurant we have more than 450 tables across two dining rooms. Traditional experiences are supplemented by our saloon, which features a large bar. Instead, you could choose to sit at Oyster Bay, where you can watch your Oysters being shucked. The Grand Central Oyster Bar has always been a social experience, bustling with buzz, activity and a rich history. There is truly nowhere else like it!
Reviewed December 9, 2013

When a good friend of mine, on learning we were visiting New York, told me the best seafood he'd ever had was at a restaurant beneath Grand Central Station I was somewhat skeptical but took the time to follow up on the recommendation. I'm so glad I did.

What a setting. A restaurant of cavernous proportions beneath tiled vaulted ceilings below the station.

The noise from the masses of people enjoying time together and good food reverberates around the place making the atmosphere quite amazing. Vibrant noise of epic proportions.

We went for lunch, were seated immediately despite how busy the place was. Our waiter was attentive, efficient and on point every step of the way.

The food was equal to the setting - chowder was tremendous and the main courses from the daily specials superb.

So do I agree with my friends recommendation and view of the Grand Central Oyster Bar ? Absolutely !

Write a ReviewReviews (3,938)

Reviewed December 9, 2013

We had to come here: it's a unique place. The station interior is beautiful and cathedral-like. Inside the Oyster Bar the first thing you notice is the amazing ceiling. I was surprised to get a table so easily as it was almost full. The food was good but not great, which was slightly disappointing, but who cares when you're in a venue like this.

Thank 237enigma .
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Great place to get Oysters. Soups are pretty good I would be wary of some of the fish entries. Atmosphere is crazy but worth a visit.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

This time we visited for my birthday. As it was lunchtime the oysters were followed by lobster roll and crab & shrimp caesar salad. The food was sublime, I was able to get great craft beers to complete each food item, and the service was impeccable. With the wonderful location and great atmosphere i can't think of anywhere i would rather eat. Not expensive either.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

We had a decent meal here before flying to Italy, but I've had better seafood. We live in California 30 minutes from the sea, so we get a lot of good seafood. Of course the best Lobster Bisque I ever had was way inland in Santa Fe, New Mexico - go figure, Oyster Bar is decent, but I wouldn't return.