“Very Sexy, Very Delicious, Very New York!”
Review of TAO Downtown

TAO Downtown
Reserve with OpenTable
TAO Downtown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #601 of 14,817 Restaurants in New York City
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

If you go to New York City and want to go to dinner and drinks at a spot where the people are young, sexy and beautiful, Tao Downtown is the spot. I recently went there with girlfriends and my hubby, he was the only guy, surrounded by a bunch of dressed up girls! Needless to say, he blended in with the crowd, the room was filled with gorgeous people, eating gorgeous food. Wait, the food? AMAZING... so delicious! The music had us dancing in our seats and the drinks were top notch. Right afterwards there is a club upstairs where you can go dance the night away. Get dressed up and be ready to spend a pretty penny. Totally worth it!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,231)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I recommend Tao for a night when you want to be "wowed" by a dramatic and impressive room and decor. The large Buddhas, immense entryway and room, and intense lighting make up a magnificent and grand experience. The service was adequate but not a fine dining experience. After waiting a significant amount of time, we had to hunt down the waitress (by way of a borderline rude waiter or busboy) in order to get a bill. It is an expensive night out ($20 drinks) and the bill for 2 was expensive considering the small order we placed. But the food was good, especially the dumplings, and it is an experience to dine there.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I have been visiting Tao for years and did my 30th birthday dinner here a while back. It’s always chic and sexy and recent July visit was no different. The bar downstairs is great for setting the vibes before dinner and talking to friends or your date. I’m vegetarian and there are plenty of staple menu options for you. Also feel free to ask the waiter to make special rolls for you if you want! I always enjoy the veggie brown fried rice and my cucumber avocado roll. Service is always on point and the food is great in my opinion. I hear mixed reviews on the salmon, but it’s probably worth a try. Get ready for an awesome date night!

Reviewed July 10, 2018

I recently had my birthday dinner at Tao Downtown and had a wonderful time. Ben was our server and he had just enough NY swag and just enough attentiveness to make our experience super fun and sexy. My group and I had a bunch a small plates and shared everything and the FOOD WAS PHENOMENAL! I have a lot of food restrictions and I still had a great time and was able to eat almost everything. The Lychee Martini's were to die for and the dessert selections were delish. Super trendy, I suggest wearing your sexiest outfit. The DJ was playing a mix of old school jams and new club music which makes you want to dance in your seat. Be ready to spend a pretty penny though, however, if it's a special occasion? WHY NOT!?

1  Thank Michaela L
Reviewed July 10, 2018

Had dinner with my family. The decor and ambiance are fabulous. Attentive and prompt service. The food could be more flavorful and portions larger.