“It's not The Palm nor Peter Lugers”

MarkJoseph Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
MarkJoseph Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,657 of 14,214 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Financial District
Cross street: Peck Slip
Transit: Subway Lines 2,3 stop at Fulton Street/William Street at Fulton Street Station.; Subway Lines A,C stop at Broadway/Nassau at Fulton Street Station.; Subway Line E stops at Chambers Street.; Subway Lines 4,5,6 stop at City Hall/Brooklyn Bridge or Broadway/Nassau at Fulton Street Station.
Description: MarkJoseph Steakhouse has been serving the best USDA Prime Dry Aged Porterhouse in New York City since 2000. Raising the bar of excellence for authentic New York City Steakhouses, MarkJoseph Steakhouse combines excellent food and polished service all in a comfortable atmosphere. Dining at MarkJosph Steakhouse you will find that your entrees are consistently prepared exactly how you like them! Porterhouse always arrives to your table sizzling and prepared to perfection. With a Zagat food rating of 24 even the most prestigious palate will be delighted. Voted #1 Rated Steakhouse in Manhattan in 2005 and 2007.
Reviewed July 6, 2013

They try hard-- but it doesn't measure up to New York's best. It is just OK. Service was atrocious on July 4th weekend. The waitress was unsure of the size of the Tuna (she said it was 16oz, when in fact it was 9oz)-- she served ice cold coffee and was really unfamiliar with the menu. Great this place is not--serviceable all around may be the correct word-- there are many better options available in NYC

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I was a guest at this unassuming and well-hidden steakhouse just by the Brooklyn Bridge. The bacon starter is worth the journey alone. I know... it sounds weird. Bacon for a starter? I've never had anything like it. The service is charming. The tables are well-spaced apart. The waiter, brimming with enthusiasm, knew all about the food and wine. And he really cared. Food was delivered at exactly the right pace. The steak was outstanding. You're not coming here to save money but if the quality matches the money, which is easily does so you don't care.

1  Thank deepoceansw1
Reviewed April 10, 2013

To give a restaurant review the title I chose to use can be risky at best, but when I consider the number of "corporate" steakhouses in the city and their approach to dining, I am usually disappointed with the dining outcome, noting that although the steaks were genuinely good, there was little else to make the experience above average.

Mark Joseph Steakhouse, located on Water Street in Lower Manhattan near the South Street Seaport area, is a wonderful restaurant that offers very good food in an intimate dining setting. The wait staff is helpful, very friendly and professional which always sets a good tone for a fine dinner in downtown New York City, Mark Joseph is the antithesis of the Ruth's Chris, Morton's or Smith and Wolinsky steakhouse environment. And that is precisely why I thoroughly enjoy dining there.

We ordered a Porterhouse steak for two, though there were three of us dining and it was more than enough steak for us, with a lovely T-bone for one of the neighborhood dogs we met on our way to the car. But before the steak, we shared two appetizers: Clams Casino and a thick and generous slab of Canadian bacon, which surprisingly made a very nice starter. Warm and crusty rolls were always available and when the waiter presented our steak, it was sliced and served from the platter. We chose as side dishes the creamed spinach and the mashed potatoes, both welcomed departures from the customary bulging baked potatoes often accompanying a meal like this.

The Porterhouse was a very good cut, about two inches thick and perfectly medium rare. The house wines proved to be very good. I had a Pinot Noir that was light but had good body and actually went very well with the steak.

It was a birthday dinner and the waiters brought in a delicious dessert concoction for the "birthday boy" that was a large brownie with chocolate sauce topped with mint ice cream and a scoop of freshly whipped cream on the side. Again, the three of us shared the dessert and it was more than enough.

I have dined at Mark Joseph Steakhouse several times and although the neighborhood is at the tail end of some street construction, it is well worth the visit for a very good meal in a wonderful neighborhood in New York.

2  Thank ntebrd
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We had a steak here as my fiancé loves his steak of should I say all his meat any kind of meat will do for him. The steak I received was nice a little dry for my taste buds and the price was not so favorable yes I will come again as its a nice place to eat at

Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

I was in Brooklyn on business and generally disappointed with the recommendations to eat until trying this steak house. It is on par with a Morton's or Ruth Chris. Good wine list , friendly staff , and great steaks.

My colleauge had the tuna steak and it looked great and he raved about it.

Worth a try if you are in town.

1  Thank Travelerjj_12