“GREAT steaks and decor”

MarkJoseph Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
MarkJoseph Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,573 of 13,633 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Financial District
Cross street: Peck Slip
Transit: Subway Lines 2,3 stop at Fulton Street/William Street at Fulton Street Station.; Subway Lines A,C stop at Broadway/Nassau at Fulton Street Station.; Subway Line E stops at Chambers Street.; Subway Lines 4,5,6 stop at City Hall/Brooklyn Bridge or Broadway/Nassau at Fulton Street Station.
Description: MarkJoseph Steakhouse has been serving the best USDA Prime Dry Aged Porterhouse in New York City since 2000. Raising the bar of excellence for authentic New York City Steakhouses, MarkJoseph Steakhouse combines excellent food and polished service all in a comfortable atmosphere. Dining at MarkJosph Steakhouse you will find that your entrees are consistently prepared exactly how you like them! Porterhouse always arrives to your table sizzling and prepared to perfection. With a Zagat food rating of 24 even the most prestigious palate will be delighted. Voted #1 Rated Steakhouse in Manhattan in 2005 and 2007.
New York City, New York
“GREAT steaks and decor”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

What a jewel of a place. You MUST have the slab of bacon appetizer--and after eating here, wait three weeks before checking your cholesterol level.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank David M

New York City, New York
“Just a Tad off the top.”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

During restaurant week my wife and I hopped a bus down to the seaport area and went to Mark Joseph Steakhouse. We also went to two other restaurant week venues but Mark Joseph stole the show. Unlike other restaurant week specials, Mark Joseph offered their first team menu and it was great. My wife and I had extras as we usually due ordering creamed spinich and clams on the half shell in addition to our shell steaks which were done perfectly. The wine list had a number of reasonable choices. No doubt Peter Luger is the king of New York City steakhouses and I rate Ben and Jacks next, but Mark Joseph is right up near the top. Definitely better than Quality Meats and Del Friscos and probably the equal of Palm and Smith & Wollensky. Our server was tops, a very helpful and personable young man. You won't be disappointed at Mark Joseph.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Peter S
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
“A Lovely end to a brilliant Honeymoon!”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We booked this restaurant as we were looking for a steak restaurant to round off our Honeymoon before having a night sailboat cruise on the river so it had to be near the South Sea Port area. The food was lovely. We had the fixed menu option which turned out to be good value. For starters, I had Baked Clams which were delicious and my Husband had the Sizzling Canadian Bacon. The bacon was about 30 cms long and the only thing on the plate! (See photo below) It was really tasty but really meaty, it would have benefited from something else on the plate to cut through the saltiness.
I had the Fillet Mignon which is the best steak I've ever had. My husband had the 20 oz steak, he asked for medium to well-done and it come to the table more like rare. I raised this with the waiter. He apologised and said he'd cook it at our table. He brought out a red hot ceramic plate with sizzling butter and cooked the pieces of steak to his liking in front of us. The steak tasted amazing, buttery and salty. YUM.
Also had dessert which was ok, can't really remember what type of cheesecake it was though.
The place was busy and appeared to a favourite with large business men in large suits eating large pieces of steaks off very large plates.
Overall, amazing steak and would go back but perhaps just for the steak.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank SianLP
aventura, florida
“Outstanding Service and Porterhouse”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Me and my Associates ate here Thursday night. We called Peter Lugers but the were full. We arrived at Six and the Bar was jumping. We were quickly seated in the elegant dining room. I will say it would be nice if they placed a door between the Bar and the Dinning room to cut out the noise from the Bar, but I presume it is part of the atmosphere.
Our server was Extremely Courteous and professional. We had the Tomato and onion salad, which was great. We ordered the Porterhouse for three, although there were four of us. The Steak came out crackling and perfectly cooked and sliced. It was rich and delicious. Really tender and tasty, just perfect.We also ordered the hash browns, cream spinach and mushrooms.
The hash browns and mushrooms were okay, but I definitely recommend the creamed spinach. For dessert we had the cheese cake and Shlaug. A must to finish the meal.

Let me say, Peter Lugers is out and Mark Joseph is in. It is much more elegant and the same price as Lugers. And the service is simply the best. If you are in New York and want a truly outstanding Aged Prime Steak in a classy and first rate establishment, this is the place to go.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank barry_silverstein
Houston, Texas
“Will not return”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We work down the street and went here for lunch with clients last week. We immediately noticed that the lunch menu seemed to be very expensive and we figured that the lunch and dinner menu is the same (with entree options priced between $30 & $50). At the end of the meal, as we walked past neighboring tables (in the main dining room) we noticed that people had burgers and sandwiches, etc. We were very frustrated that we were not told that there was an actual lunch menu with lunch size portions and lower cost items. The food we received was good but our entire table felt like we were taken advantage of because the restaurant did not present all of the options. Our office is only a couple blocks away but we will not return because they are more interested in our $ than serving consumers needs.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank nycadventure
Carol Ann G, Manager at MarkJoseph Steakhouse, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Valued Customer,

First I want to thank you for taking the time to offer valuable feedback after your recent visit to MarkJoseph Steakhouse. Knowing that our customers have many options when it comes to choosing where to go and eat it is of the utmost importance that each person who walks through our doors leaves with a satisfied feeling that the money that they have just spent was on a delicious meal that was served by a polished server in a comfortable atmosphere. I apologize that your experience was anything less than that.

MarkJoseph Steakhouse will be celebrating its 12 year anniversary this coming January. It has always been our policy to offer our Luncheon/Bar menu upon request in the Dining Room until 2:30pm and it is always offered in our Bar area or for take out. As I stated earlier your feedback is valuable to us and we appreciate you as a customer.

I was working on Friday September 14th and had I felt that you were unhappy in anyway I would have approached you that instant, listened to what you had to say and let you know just how important your business and feedback is to all of us at MarkJoseph Steakhouse.

Regards,