“UES gem”

JoJo
Ranked #1,055 of 13,633 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: Between Lexington and Third Avenues
Transit: F train at 63rd Street, 4,5,6,N,R at 59th Street
Description: JoJo offers relaxed yet elegant dining on two floors of a quaint, turn-of-the-century brownstone on the Upper East Side. The first of Jean-Georges’ restaurants in New York City, this neighborhood gem opened in 1991 to rave reviews. It was voted best new restaurant of the year by Esquire magazine and has retained its three-star status from the New York Times for 21 years. Regarding the name, JoJo was Chef Jean-Georges’ nickname as a young boy. Jojo is a hospitable setting for a casual dinner, special occasion, or private party. Guests can feel comfortable in jeans or in evening attire. The contemporary French menu still features some well-loved original dishes, including the Warm Valrhona Chocolate Cake.
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“UES gem”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We adore JoJo, and it is always a highlight of our visits to NYC. Of course, the food is consistently exceptional. (I love the tuna roll, my husband loved the lamb chop) We enjoy trying the latest openings of up-and-coming chefs, but invariably return to JoJo for its intimate, gracious warmth that the manager and servers always provide for us. Trisha is extremely attentive and knowledgable, particularly with regard to wine recommendations and pairings. The staff is well-trained and quite informed about the menu and preparations, and they were very accommodating toward one of our party members who has severe food allergies. The professionalism and sincere welcome of every person we encounter from the moment we walk down the steps is unparalleled, from the coat check, to the bartender, the servers, and the manager. JoJo is a true neighborhood gem.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Karen_C5C

• Korean first
New York City, New York
“A Mixed Bag”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

At the last minute I was able to steer my husband away from Le Pain Quotidien and to JoJo's instead. (Side Note: I love LPQ as much as the next as the next person but a change was in order!)

Here are my thoughts on JoJo's:

Ambiance - definitely an older crowd and an older decor, but not in a bad way. The place felt warm and cozy. Bathrooms are so TINY I felt like I was in Europe for a few minutes. All part of the charm I guess?

Service - While extremely nice and polite, our server was a bit confused. She forgot to ask for my salad without cheese, so it came with cheese. She forgot to order a neighboring table's dessert so they ended up asking her to cancel it. I think she also forgot to put in our entree orders because people came after us and had their food way before us.

Food - While there were many promising items on the menu, I think I ordered the wrong things...unfortunately. I went with the prix fixe and had the vegetable salad and the salmon. The salad was very acidic, and the olives were very out of place. I wasn't a fan at all. The salmon was okay, but the truffle sauce was reminiscent of something out of a Campbell's soup can and the mashed potatoes were nothig special.

My husband, who usually has issues with every food he comes across, had nothing but good things to say about his meal. He loved the butternut squash soup, loved his pancakes, and he loved the chocolate cake.

Our server brought us a complimentary passion fruit sorbet, which was quite tasty. Very nice of her.

Bottom Line: I will return, mostly because my husband actually liked his food and that RARELY HAPPENS. I look forward to trying a few other things on the menu.

Visited February 2014
NYC
“Brunch on a cold winter's day in NYC”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

January 25, 2013

Months ago I spied a step down entrance to a small cozy restaurant on 64th St. off of Lexington Avenue. A look through its large
street level picture window gave view to a bar below, two small green rooms , separated by floor to ceiling cream and brown toile drapery.
Note to self: google that when I get home. It was JoJo, a property owned by Jean Georges.
So it was on this cold and dreary Saturday, when an appointment took me back to the same locale. Brunch, if they could seat me, was on the agenda. I popped in and the hostess pleasantly led me to a seat on a plum banquette. Small table, white tablecloth and proper napkin. Good so far. The upper reaches of the walls had a delicate gilt stencil below the same molded ceiling. Small sconces popped out from the calming grey green walls
There was no loud music, no jive, just quiet conversations going on.
I was inside a little gem.

The staff were all attentive, but not effusive. They seemed to be genuinely vested in your food and comfort. A serving of sliced baguettes was brought over, served standing straight up in a cup, along with a perfectly square bit of butter in a round dish.
Pre Fix Lunch or Brunch? I went for the
Eggs Benedict with ham as meat choice (Flying Pigs Farm ham.), served with tiny squarely cut roasted potatoes. They had a bit of crust on the outside, and were light and fluffy on inside. And they really tasted like potatoes.

As is the case with the solo diner, you are more aware of others around you. I rested the crossword ( swiped from the WSJ ) on the table and observed the couple across from me. "Outstanding”, " Perfection", I heard her say. They had ordered the prix fixe lunch. She, kale salad with parmesan and lemon and slow baked salmon. He , the ricotta ravioli and then chicken cooked with olives, ginger, and coriander . I didn't stay for dessert.

Snow flurries ensued; it was one of those days to be indoors, preferably right
there.
I want to go back, even tomorrow, for brunch to have
roasted hake with pecans, mushrooms, and ginger scallion condiment.

But for sure I’ll be returning one evening for dinner and start with a straight up Manhattan before making any culinary decisions.

1 Thank PassageTo
London, United Kingdom
“Brunch to die for”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

This is where my friends who live in NYC go for Brunch, so it's locally approved and not a typical place for tourists. It was calm inside and very elegant and had an older crowd who looked happy to sit and chat over a coffee and brunch for an hour or two. I had the best French Toast, roasted apple and syrup that I have ever had. It was amazing. We had an assortment of brunch on our table and all of it looked amazing, smoked salmon bagel came with half a plate full of smoked salmon so not scrimping on amounts. The service was impeccable and we were looked after from start to finish with our water kept topped up, coffee's refilled etc. Would highly recommend, although not your typical NYC dinner, more elegant European in feel.

New York City, New York
“Very good but not great”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Let me start by saying we love Jean-George's food and have been to all of his restaurants in New York many times. We had not been to JoJo in many years so decided to give it another try. It was very good but sadly not as great as it was when it first opened and in its early years. The setting, on two floors of a townhouse, could use a little refreshing -- there's peeling paint, the upholstery is wearing and the bathroom is teeny tiny. Three of us ordered the $28 three course prix fixe and two of us ordered a la carte because they wanted breakfast, not lunch. The pancakes were thoroughly enjoyed and my husband asked for a vegetable omelette which was not on the menu and they made a delicious one for him. The $28 prix fixe is a great deal with many choices. I love the JoJo shrimp salad and was happy to find that it's exactly the same as I remember it except that it was a little on the cold side making it seem pre-made, the sides of the plate were just wiped but not carefully enough so it was a bit greasy, it was slightly overdressed and sadly the avocado was black around the edges. It tasted delicious despite all of this but at a Jean-Georges restaurant, we expect better. My sister's butternut squash soup was a little on the sweet side but we all loved the kale salad, the hake, poached shrimp with lemon risotto and the burger which was succulent and yummy with crispy and delicious fries. I also ordered coffee with dessert which they forgot to bring and the desserts themselves, a cream cheese filled carrot cake and Jean-George's signature molten chocolate cake were fine but nothing special. One of the things we've always loved at JoJo is the Tom Cat bakery bread, which are delicious thin baguettes always served warm. They were a little crumpled when they arrived at our table but they're still delicious. It won't take much to make JoJo as wonderful as it once was -- just a little more care in the kitchen and a little sprucing up in the dining room -- with that, we'd be coming back a lot more!