“Good middle eastern food- ok for lunch”
Review of Alfanoose - CLOSED

Alfanoose
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Dining options: Buffet, Delivery
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Financial District
Cross street: Broadway and Nassau
Transit: A & C: to Broadway - Nassau E: to WTC, J, M & Z: to Fulton Street, R & W: to Cortland Street, 2, 3, 4 & 5: to Fulton Street
Description: Alfanoose was founded in 1999 by Mouhamad Shami in New York City's Financial District. Shami is a lover of authentic Middle Eastern cuisine and a purist at heart. Alfanoose came about, mainly because of his disappointment in finding true Syrian/Lebanese food in New York.
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Ok- so for New York, they are kind of slow and flaky in their service, but the food is excellent. I usually order in, often for large groups, and we have excellent group lunches. For the first time I actually went to the restaurant. Its ok- full of business people who want to get in and out. The vegetable options are very good, as is the chicken. I have not tried the lamb. Pitas are good also- not all dried out as is often the case.

Reviewed June 14, 2012 via mobile

This place is great - wonderful service. Authentic lebanese food. Amazing lamb shawirma and baba ganoush. A must try. Lunch hour gets a bit busy so try to get there early.

Reviewed May 2, 2012

I've been eating at Alfanoose since 2000, back when they were on Fulton almost corner of Broadway. The quality of the food has always been great and flavors within the conformaties of demanding native New Yorkers. Is the food different from other Lebanese restaurants in New York, the USA and other parts of the world? Yes! Mohammad (owner) has never used the compressed lamb slush that other so-called middle eastern places use. His falafal is always fresh as are all the other menu items. I've never had a less than very good meal. Is it a bit pricey? Yes however the product is unmatched in quality and taste.

I've had it in many places in the USA and outside the USA and accepting that middle eastern menus are not the same everywhere and meals are not seasoned or prepared exactly the same, I still enjoy Alfanoose's product as much, if not more, than places I've eaten where critics claim and swear are authentic and the best (which in most cases weren't). Alfanoose is a busy place during lunch and between 630pm and 10pm. Mohammad (and occassionally his wife and brother) always appear hurried and with little time for pleasentries however there food is where all their concentration is placed.

Am I a bit biased? Yes, but I love food - great food, and would not promote or endorse something I do not or did not like, and had that been the case with Alfanoose, I'd have made it known. So, a bit pricey - Yes! Worth the eats - Most Definitively! Note: I only travel to NYC 2 to 3 times a year and make sure I drop in for my middle eastern fix, and am always thrilled that the product I eat has maintained the highest standards since I first ate there back in 2000.

Reviewed January 26, 2012

It looks like a cafeteria in Damascus. If you don't mind eating with plastic utensils off of styrofoam plates, then prepare to enjoy the BEST middle-eastern food in the city. The Falafel is crispy without being dry and the hummus, baba and tahini are perfectly spiced. Very fresh. I almost hate telling everyone about it, because I hate to see it become a 'hot spot.' Go in the eve an skip the lunch crowds. NO alcohol allowed, but you will get drunk on the deliciousness of the food.

Reviewed January 4, 2011

I ordered shish kebab in the hope it would be freshly cooked as I have come to expect in London Lebanese restaurants but the slices of lamb I got bore no resemblance to any shish kebab I have eaten before. They were too tough to cut with the plastic cutlery provided. Very disappointing as I thought I had found an oasis in a culinary wasteland. I love Lebanese food but if this was my first experience I would not wish to repeat it. My wife had a veggie "kibbeh" and was equally unimpressed