“Late Night” 3 of 5 bubbles

P.J. Clarke's
Ranked #250 of 13,476 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Midtown
Fairfax, Virginia
“Late Night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

We ate here following the opera. Service was excellent and very fast. We ordered drinks and soups. The tomato soup was good, the French Onion soup was okay, seemed microwaved. The drinks were good. Loud atmosphere, people were enjoying themselves.

Visited January 2013

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
Rochester, New York
“Great classic New York Pub - Great for Office Parties!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

We visited P.J. Clarke's for an office party/event. The staff was overwhelmingly polite, amazingly attentive and the management was on hand at all times to see that we were getting well taken care of.

I really enjoyed myself and the atmosphere was very friendly. We had an assortment of appetizers to snack on, the sliders were a favorite of our group. This was a great place for our office party, and since this is close to home, I will most certainly be back to have dinner with my family.

• Visited January 2013
New York City
“Old fashioned NYC pub”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Nothing special here, but if you're curious to see the way business people used to lunch, this is a good spot to do it. Burgers, specials, and drinks.

Dallas, Texas
“Decent enough”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

I knew the hype about the burgers here, so I convinced the family to try it. Right on the corner of 55th and 3rd, it's easy to find.

Skooch through the bar to get to the restaurant. The hostess will find a table for you. The service was friendly and knowledgeable. Water glasses were refilled regularly, which is more than I can say at some other places. The atmosphere is bar-ish, informal, busy.

I'm not a big burger person, but the kids both had burgers. I got an order of the onion strings for the table, and they were really good. Later, the, unfortunately smaller, order of French fries was even better. I started with a generous bowl of the French onion soup. It was good, but I'd prefer fresh cheese grated on the top, letting the warmth of the soup melt the cheese. For this bowl, the cheese was rather baked on top of the soup. Though still good! I also had the Ceasar salad which was nothing special, small, uninteresting. The kids liked their Simply Burgers. It comes plain, so just ask for whatever else you might like on your burger: lettuce, tomato, mayo, mustard. The kids reported the mustard is a spicy mustard, which of course they didn't like, but overall they liked the burgers.

The basic burger is about $10, and the fancier burgers in the $15-20 range. Order fries separately for about $6 for a smallish cup of fries.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Whidbey Island, Washington
“A Very Good Find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

We were heading back to our hotel after a long day of sightseeing when we happened across PJ Clarke's. We had a hard time walking through the bar to the dining room, it was so crowded, & I dreaded what the wait would be. We were seated immediately, to my amazement. The dining area was also packed, & our table was very small, right next to the restroom ... I wasn't sure it was such a good idea to stay. But I'm so glad we did. Our waitress was fast, friendly & terrific. Our beers were cold & also quite speedy (thank goodness!). Our food was hot, prompt & delicious. We didn't mind being elbow to elbow with neighboring tables, & the noise level was loud but not bothersome at all. This was a great choice with very reasonable prices for Manhattan. Best of all, it was a balm for our empty stomachs & weary feet.

• Visited December 2012