“OMG so good!”

Manganaro's Hero Boy
Ranked #6,111 of 13,736 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: Manganaro's Hero Boy is home of the original "hero" sandwich. We serve old world Italian cooking the way it should be.
Mountlake Terrace
“OMG so good!”
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Stumbled across this place while wandering around. Got in and tried a chicken parmesan hero on wheat. The guy serving us let us try some other ingredient as well. Everyone was very friendly, the place was clean. Our first bite into our hero was like heaven. Indescribably good. Definitely going back.

Denver, Colorado
“This place just needs to disappear”
Reviewed May 12, 2009

I am an avid follower of Anthony Bourdain and try to visit all of the places on his show. I went to this place last week. Before I went I did some research and found quite a few negative reviews about the woman who runs the place and how rude she is. Well let me say that it is absolutely true. I won't bore you with my story about how I didn't get my spaghetti, but let me just say this woman is the rudest proprieter I have ever met. She will never get a dime of my money and I'm disappointed that Bourdain chose this place. Let it disappear.

3 Thank nickfaldo7
NJ
“Stay Away from Manganaro”
Reviewed December 30, 2007

I telephoned Manganaro's to inquire as to whether or not they had fresh cotechino...a traditional italian sausage eaten at New Years Eve. Manganaro said they had fresh home made cotechino. When I arrived at their store, I was given a commercial brand, imported from Italy. They said they could not get the home made ones but that these were just as good. Basically, they lied. I reluctantly bought the cotechino (1lb in a box) at a hefty price of $21! I found out later this cotechino normally sells for $10! If the cotechino had been of good quality, I could probably accept the rip off but the cotechino was of poor quality.

To add insult to injury, they also sold me 2 rice balls at the price of $5 each! This is highway robbery!

The place is dingy, not clean...the decor looks like time stood still from the 40s.

Stay away from Manganaros.

3 Thank roma7
NYC
“The rudest woman in the entire service industry”
Reviewed December 6, 2007

The sandwiches are really good, and I don't usually care when someone is rude to me. But this woman actually told me herself she was going to charge me $3 for a can of soda because she was upset that I was splitting a sandwich with someone instead of buying my own. She said that suddenly there was a minimum charge per person if you wanted to eat inside the restaurant, because she had to "pay for those chairs somehow" (I have never heard of this minimum before, and there were no signs). I asked her if there was anything i could buy for two bucks that would allow me to reach the minimum, and she started yelling at me and calling me cheap, and refused to let me buy anything for $2. I still wanted to stay because it was cold out and I wanted to just have a hassle free lunch. So we stayed and I paid her $3 for that soda. We asked her for another plate because we were sharing, and she demanded an extra dollar for the extra paper plate. So in sum, I don't mind people being rude, but it seems to me like she was arbitrarily charging me more for things because she was angry I was sharing something, and that is just completely over the line. You can get good subs at the place next door instead, the more modern looking place.

3 Thank lupolux
Tucson
“Bad Service, and Experience”
Reviewed June 28, 2007

I read many great reviews of this place and was very excited to try the food. However, when I and my buddy entered the place we were ignored for quite awhile, and then reluctantly asked what we wanted in a less than pleasant manner. After ordering three heroes, three to go, we were made to wait longer than the three people that came in after us. I found this ironic, because they obviously did not want us there, but decided to keep us longer than necessary. We were overcharged and simply stared at when I pointed this out... this did not go over well with the older lady that never put down her knife while talking with me.

The food was not horrible, and not great, but definitely not worth that treatment. I encourage to go to a place where all people are respected, charged fairly, and the food is better than average. Manganaro's is not this place.

2 Thank jeremias_01in