“Average breakfast in a quaint cafe”
Review of Antique Cafe - CLOSED

Antique Cafe
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Reviewed June 13, 2009

We were staying at a nearby hotel and decided to stop in for brunch on a Saturday morning. My husband had an omelette, and I had the two egg breakfast. Both were served with a field green salad and breakfast potatoes. The food was okay; my eggs were not cooked as I'd requested (underdone) and they only had orange marmalade for jam. Prices were more than reasonable, with each plate less than $10. We sat outside and enjoyed the outdoor cafe seting. Now after reading the other reviews, I wish I'd checked out the pastry case but since we were outside and the pastries weren't listed on the brunch menu, I had no idea.

Reviewed February 16, 2009

First, There are actually two locations in Chelsea, just a couple of blocks apart. I've only been once to the one on 27th street, adjacent to the Fashion Institute (FIT) campus. That one is cute, in an old building, with the feel of an old pub or such. Younger student crowd, as you'd expect in that location.

The 26th Street location is in a new high-rise, and the best feature is the outdoor cafe that sits on a large plaza running between 26th and 27th - it's just nice to be able to sit outdoors without feeling you're in the middle of a lot of traffic, which is more typical in New York. Great, quiet in good weather, but the tall buildings around create a wind tunnel effect on a windy day. The outdoor area pushes this place above average, though for those who love pastry, maybe that's the thing.

Busiest time, lunch. In NY that's any time between noon and 3:00. But the wait for a table is not usually long, if you want one. Lots of takeout business, and no table service at lunch - make your selections at the counter, either to go or to stay. I prefer this place after the lunch crowd has gone back to work. I've been coming here at least 3 times a week for 3 or 4 years but almost always get lunch to go. Much nicer for me as a break later in the afternoon.

Food is generally good, with some real winners and a couple of stinkers, as per usual. They do a grilled salmon almost daily, and the price is right ($10 with salad). Other items may seem too high. The plus is, you can look at it on display before you order, so no shocking surprises. (At dinner there is a limited menu but all cooked to order, with waiter/waitress. Not so much a date place as a meet-up-casually place, or a "have a glass of wine after work and then finally order something" place.)

The Setting here is a plus: good music playing, very airy with lots of light from tall windows, (about 20' high ceiling) colorful mural etc. Limited seating, banquette is comfortable enough for short meals, chairs are good. Bathroom too dimly lit, but otherwise OK. (I think - hard to tell in the dark!)

Have never been rushed out, but turnover is steady, so, as stated, you don't have to wait long for a table. Also have done the weekend brunch, which is good enough, and this is again an un-rushed place. Staff range from the perfunctory, as mentioned by others, to the very friendly. Repeat visits get you recognized here, and that's nice, and typical New York. Prices are neither high nor a bargain by NYC standards. Coffee is very good, and frequently that's all I get, so I'm happy. Sweets are the specialty, and I'm off those for now. but knock yourself out!

Overall, a neighborhood-hangout quality with plenty of traffic from first-timers and tourists as well.

1  Thank Croccante
Reviewed November 30, 2008

Well, I read the two reviews below, one good, the other scathing. My own experience of this place is consistently good, and I felt compelled to write that. Why? Those pastries are awesome! I love the coffee drinks, and sometimes I order lunch from here, which I check off their website, and the menu gets updated daily. Yeah so it's pricier than other places, but you're not getting dive-y food. I've never had a problem with the service in shop or with them screwing up a delivery. So, tick this off in the good review column.

Reviewed July 2, 2008

My friend and I ate here and had one of the worst experiences in a very long time. First, we asked the counter woman if we were supposed to order at the counter or at our table, she told us to sit and the waiter told us to go inside. We did so, and were told by the counter girl (in a rude tone) that she told us to order from her. Once our food came (we ordered 2 sandwiches) and there was no salad. After asking the waiter where our salad was, he said they ran out, with a rather convoluted story on how we "were supposed to get salad but they ran out so we didn't get charged." However, we saw tables around us with salads coming out to them after our salad "ran out." When I went back to the counter girl and asked for an explanation and itemized bill, she got very defensive with me and told me I was charged $1 less for each sandwich because of no salad. This was no where written for the public to understand nor was her expanation making any sense to me. The sandwich price was written as $7.95 with a salad. She said she charged us $6.95, since that was the price with no salad (indicated nowhere on the menu, just from her snotty defensive story.

Rude service will prevent me from ever going back. Get it together!

Yours truly, a experienced employee of New York kitchens & familiar with customer service,
An unhappy customer

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 26, 2008

One of the hidden places in NYC! Their brunch, muffins and lunch are good. Nice to have an outside table.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook