“Excellent New Hotel in the heart of Times Square!”

Hyatt Centric Times Square New York
Ranked #47 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Florence, Alabama
“Excellent New Hotel in the heart of Times Square!”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

My wife and I and two other couples stayed for the final night of our vacation to NYC. We stayed at another hotel in Times Square the first few nights, which was nice, but this one was so nice. Everything new, perfect location in the heart of TS. We shared our room with another couple and the beds were nice sized queens and the room was much larger than other rooms we have had in NYC. The bathroom was great and fairly large with heated floor and rain shower. The room was so modern and high tech I actually had a hard time figuring some of it out. This is our fourth trip to NYC and we have stayed in about 6 different hotels but this one would have to be my favorite. Definitely worth it. The restaurant wasn't open yet and so I can really only speak about the room. Didn't try any of the other stuff. The staff was very friendly and accomidating.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank tonyemilyc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (655)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I am a Platinum member of the Hyatt Gold Passport reward program. I stayed at this Hotel using my Two Free Nights after signing up for their Chase Hyatt Card.

The Hotel is located between 6th and 7th Avenue on West 45th Street in the heart of Midtown Manhattan, bustling with Broadway patrons filing into restaurants nearby. And thick traffic honking thru Times Square.

I used the AirTrain at JFK to reach the hotel via Jamaica Station where I switched to the E Subway Train, which is the Express into Manhattan. That cost me $7.50 one way.

The Hotel did not have my requested room ready at check-in, which was to be a Double Queen Room. My nephew was joining me at the Hotel later. Steven, at the Front Desk, immediately offered me an upgrade for a King Bed with a view of Times Square, which I accepted. He personally took me to my room to see if I approved. And then 15 minutes later called me to let me know my original room request was ready. Steven, again, personally moved me to my preferred room, again, with a view.

My request for late 2PM checkout was approved on the spot.

The room is a good size and there is a desk with lamp. Floor lamp in the corner with a sitting chair and side table; reading lamps and night lights below the night stands, all controlled by buttons on the wall near the bed and desk area.

The Flat Screen Television offered all Digital HD programming. There are 3 STARZ CINEMA channels to watch and a long list of the usual channels like Food Network, ESPN, CNN, etc. You can connect your personal devices to the Screen at the desk.

Guest Services sent up sundries I had not packed—toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant and mouthwash-- all gratis. As I put them away in the bathroom, I realized the tile floor is heated by control panel on the wall!! Fantastic in mid December NYC!! What a treat to return from the snow and wind outside and stand on the deeply warming tiles.

The beds are wonderful. My nephew asked me if he snored all night, which he did. He only snores when he sleeps very deeply and soundly—and he greatly approved of the bed. I slept well, too.

The restaurant is not completed. The bar on the rooftop is not completed. Steven offered to have sandwiches brought up from the tiny food market in the lobby. I think there is more option in walking next door to the deli which features everything you could want including a salad bar, deli counter, sushi and udon noodles, pizza, etc. Other nearby places to eat that we saw include Olive Garden, McDonalds, Planet Hollywood, Buca di Beppo, Subway, TGIFs, and many many other food joints.

Everything is near the hotel. 30 Rockefeller Plaza with the famed ice rink and Christmas Tree, St. Patricks Cathedral and St. Thomas Cathedral, FENDI, Tiffanys, The Rockettes, Broadway Shows, and at least 3 different Subway lines with multiple entries in every direction steps from the Hotel. Great Police presence at all hours, too.

I asked Guest Services where I could print documents. They directed me to computers near the Lobby behind Front Desk. I was shocked to see it was not free-- $5.95 for 15 minutes of Internet, charged to your credit card, and additional money to print pages. The machine would not read my card so I asked Stacey at Front Desk for help. She graciously let me log in to my Gmail at her Front Desk Terminal, and printed my document. So grateful for that small favor.

Check out was quick and easy. They removed the Internet charge for my stay because I am Platinum Member. My nephew and I dove into a taxi out front, hailed by the doorman, and we were at Penn Station in 10 minutes flat—I timed it.

Can’t wait to come back to HYATT TIMES SQUARE!! The staff rocks and the location is not to be beaten, for sure.

Room Tip: Ask for late check out. Otherwise...11 AM.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank GREENCHILEcam
Ryan F, Manager at Hyatt Centric Times Square New York, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear GREENCHILEcam,
Greetings from Times Square; as a highly valued Platinum member I really appreciate you choosing to come and visit our new location and its wonderful to hear that on the whole you had a great stay. We are working very hard to have the diner and bar open as soon as possible so I am hopeful that upon your return we will have those outlets up and running. In fact, hot off the press, the diner will be open this Sunday and so far its looking great!
With regard to the computer in the lobby; it is actually free for 15 minutes (5 pages printing included) and it is clearly up to us to be communicating that better and we shall certainly work on that; at the very least I am really pleased that Stacey was able to help, I will high five her next time I see her.
Thank you again for staying with us and if you would like a specific room with a heated bathroom floor on your next trip, feel free to give us a call ahead of time and it would be our pleasure to block it for you.
With best regards,
Ryan
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

Great new property, attentive and helpful staff, nice sized rooms and comfortable beds. The only exception would be the pillows, they flatten out to nearly nothing. All in all a good experience and would definitely return! Once the restaurant opens it should be even better.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank arbolger
Lumberton, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Even if the experience of staying in a brand new hotel doesn't sway you, the amazingly helpful and friendly staff of the new Hyatt will win you over. The beds are comfortable, the location is right off of Times Square with subway stops nearby, and the staff tripped over themselves to make sure that our needs were met. Steve and Walter were especially helpful, but truly everyone contributed to a great stay. I will definitely return to this hotel and appreciate such a great experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Katie D
Evansville, Indiana
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Really enjoyed my stay at the brand new Hyatt Times Square. When I arrived the very young hotel staff welcomed me with open arms and check-in was a breeze. I requested a king view room on an upper floor and that's exactly what I received. The room was very spacious and offered a superb view. It's location is in the middle of all the action and within walking distance of a huge array of restaurants, shops and the Broadway theaters. With this hotel only being open now for just over a week the diner style restaurant in the lobby along with the rooftop lounge have not been completed and the guest rooms are only available up to floor 29 but don't let that keep you from thinking about staying here.

Room Tip: Request a "view" room on a higher floor for the best views
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank evvtraveler
Ohio
Reviewed December 8, 2013

The lobby is modern, minimalist, bright white walk to the elevators. Many happy staff everywhere on their third day open. We were the first to stay in our king room, 1811. The sleeping area was 13 by 15, with floor to ceiling window, full length mirror, safe, coffee, mini-fridge. Extra for internet in room. A hall to the modern bathroom, shower only. The location was perfect for theater. The hotel rooftop restaurant is not yet open. Hotel has Irish pubs on either side, but it was very quiet in the room on Saturday night. Manhattan hotel prices were very high on this tree-lighting weekend, but the Hyatt was a relative bargain.

Room Tip: If you need a bathtub, check in advance. They gave us late 1pm checkout just by asking.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sunbu
Menlo Park, California
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

Anytime you can stay in any new hotel in the Big Apple is a treat. This hotel is centrally located, half a block to Broadway and 2.5 blocks from Time Square. The staff is young, eager and helpful. The room still has the new room smell, small but no smaller than NYC standard. Room is functional and the bathroom is shower only so you don't have to deal with disgusting hotel shower curtains. Good for business and leisure. Good value too.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business