“Outstanding Cuisine in one of the most charming streets of NYC”
Review of Casa Mono

Casa Mono
Reserve with OpenTable
Casa Mono is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #633 of 13,765 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Gramercy Park
Cross street: 17th Street
Transit: 4, 5, 6, N, Q, R, W and L trains to 14th Street/Union Square.
Description: Casa Mono features raciones of Catalan specialties and serves dishes from all corners of Spain. It was awarded 2 stars from the New York Times shortly after its opening and was the highest rated Spanish restaurant in the 2006 and 2007 editions of Zagat. Casa Mono boasts a wine list of nearly 600 wines, representing all that is of quality in the rapidly expanding world of Spanish Wine. Our wine list was awarded the Wine Enthusiast Magazine Award of Unique Distinction in 2007, and has earned The Wine Spectator's Award of Excellence for 2005 through 2007. It was recently awarded with The Wine Spectator's Best of Award of Excellence for 2008, as well as being rated 9.5 out of 10 in the Spanish wine magazine Sibaritas.
New York City, New York
“Outstanding Cuisine in one of the most charming streets of NYC”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

This restaurant serves creative and very well executed tapas. I'd recommend getting a seat at the bar to see the chefs at work. Their wine list is overwhelming but fortunately it has a table of contents.

The food is a pleasure for the eyes and palate. As good NYC restaurants go, it's relatively affordable. I'll certainly go back.

Visited November 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Edmonton, Canada
“Great tapas”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Every time I visit NYC I always make a trip to this little gem. The food is always fantastic with great wine selection. It is a very small Restaraunt so make sure you make a reservation.

London
“adventurous and excellent tapas near Union Square”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

The tapas at Casa Mono are not only excellent, but also different -- goat confit; sweetbreads and so on.2 of us shared 6 plates and all of them were excellent in my opinion.The waiters were able to offer excellent and accurate advice on the wine list, and we enjoyed ourselves very much. The restaurant is tightly packed and a little bit noisy when it's full. This is not a cheap option, but it's worth every dollar.

New York City, New York, USA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Michelin-starred Spanish in an intimate setting”
Reviewed November 10, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Casa Mono offers a good quality dining experience in a cozy setting. The selection of Spanish wines and ciders is nice and the staff seem knowledgable about the wine list. Service was attentive and friendly. They offer a good quality authentic jamon iberico, and the house charcuterie is fantastic. For these and the wine, it is worth the trip. The other dishes were good, but somewhat inconsistent in terms of flavor. Bacalao croquettes were a letdown, but the sweetbreads were expertly prepared. The sea urchin dish was average, the other components taking away from the beauty of the uni. The food was enjoyable, just not exceptional. Dessert was very good, though, with a trio of cheeses varying in age that I really appreciated. It's a nice date spot and if you're hankering for some pretty authentic Spanish tapas, it will suit your needs most definitely.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank RovingGastronome
New York City, New York
“terrible hostess!”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

i never write reviews but this time i feel is my only 'remedy' against such bad service...i had eaten in Casa Mono like a year ago and wanted to come back and I had enjoyed the food.

While I'm Mexican I know a lot about Spanish food. My father is Spanish and my mother is half Spanish. My dad's family emigrated to Mexico so I grew up eating Spanish food cooked by my grandmother and and her sisters, as well as my dad and my mom (both love cooking). I spends many holidays in Spain since I was 4 AND I'm married to a Spaniard. I was happy to find a restaurant in New York that had razor clams and other tapas that were good (even though my husband thought they were to "fancy").

last night I went out with some friends and my experience was truly disappointing. the hostess was terrible. she was rude when I arrived. she did not allowed me to sit on the table because the rest of the party hadn't arrived. I had to go to the bar next door and by the time I had asked for a glass of wine, my friends arrived and I didn't even have time to have a try it. while I was not happy with her, I understood that these were the "rules of the restaurant".

HOWEVER, after having paid a quite expensive bill for a not so good food, this woman came to our table and said we had to leave because they needed the table. it is the first time that this happens to me in a restaurant (and I lived 10 years on London and I've moved to NYC 4 years ago). this cities are famous for allowing you to have a table for one hour only when you make a reservation but they didn't say anything this time. This women decided it was time for us to leave after we had paid 200 dollars per head. i think this is totally unacceptable.

in addition I find it a presumptuous tapas bar. the waiters don't know much about wines or the food they are serving but they talk about it as if it was haute cuisine! and the whole experience is quite fake. you cannot compare it to a night out in madrid, barcelona or san sebastian (where the tapas are truly great but and the atmosphere is fun and relaxed!)

such a shame...