“terrible hostess!”
Review of Casa Mono

Casa Mono
Reserve with OpenTable
Casa Mono is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #673 of 14,520 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Gramercy Park
Cross street: 17th Street
Transit: 4, 5, 6, N, Q, R, W and L trains to 14th Street/Union Square.
Description: Casa Mono features raciones of Catalan specialties and serves dishes from all corners of Spain. It was awarded 2 stars from the New York Times shortly after its opening and was the highest rated Spanish restaurant in the 2006 and 2007 editions of Zagat. Casa Mono boasts a wine list of nearly 600 wines, representing all that is of quality in the rapidly expanding world of Spanish Wine. Our wine list was awarded the Wine Enthusiast Magazine Award of Unique Distinction in 2007, and has earned The Wine Spectator's Award of Excellence for 2005 through 2007. It was recently awarded with The Wine Spectator's Best of Award of Excellence for 2008, as well as being rated 9.5 out of 10 in the Spanish wine magazine Sibaritas.
Reviewed November 7, 2013

i never write reviews but this time i feel is my only 'remedy' against such bad service...i had eaten in Casa Mono like a year ago and wanted to come back and I had enjoyed the food.

While I'm Mexican I know a lot about Spanish food. My father is Spanish and my mother is half Spanish. My dad's family emigrated to Mexico so I grew up eating Spanish food cooked by my grandmother and and her sisters, as well as my dad and my mom (both love cooking). I spends many holidays in Spain since I was 4 AND I'm married to a Spaniard. I was happy to find a restaurant in New York that had razor clams and other tapas that were good (even though my husband thought they were to "fancy").

last night I went out with some friends and my experience was truly disappointing. the hostess was terrible. she was rude when I arrived. she did not allowed me to sit on the table because the rest of the party hadn't arrived. I had to go to the bar next door and by the time I had asked for a glass of wine, my friends arrived and I didn't even have time to have a try it. while I was not happy with her, I understood that these were the "rules of the restaurant".

HOWEVER, after having paid a quite expensive bill for a not so good food, this woman came to our table and said we had to leave because they needed the table. it is the first time that this happens to me in a restaurant (and I lived 10 years on London and I've moved to NYC 4 years ago). this cities are famous for allowing you to have a table for one hour only when you make a reservation but they didn't say anything this time. This women decided it was time for us to leave after we had paid 200 dollars per head. i think this is totally unacceptable.

in addition I find it a presumptuous tapas bar. the waiters don't know much about wines or the food they are serving but they talk about it as if it was haute cuisine! and the whole experience is quite fake. you cannot compare it to a night out in madrid, barcelona or san sebastian (where the tapas are truly great but and the atmosphere is fun and relaxed!)

such a shame...

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Post Marathon meal was very good. A little bit limited choice in terms of non-meat dishes but overall extremely good food and service. Second time I have been here and it didn't disappoint.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

I have never before questioned a TA Certificate of Excellence Award but I have to question this one. I don't pretend to be an "expert" on Spanish Tapas and I have never been to Spain (at least not yet) but the Tapas concept is not new to me as I have and do thoroughly enjoy tapas type menus.
Is the place small and somewhat cramped. Yes, but so are many other restaurants, especially in NYC. Can the service seemed somewhat rushed, yes it is. Is it over priced as related to quantity of food you get, absolutely (even by NYC standards). Is it over priced as related to the quantity of food you get, absolutely. But those are not my issues with Casa Mono. It's the food.
There were just 2 of use but the menu looked so inviting that we ordered 7 plates.
Bacalao Croquetas- Fried nicely but the Orange Alioli was way over salted (almost inedible) and greasy
Razor Clams- Good dish but where was all that nice sauce that everyone was raving about.
Fluke Crudo- Fresh with clean flavors. Best dish of the night- except for dessert.
Cauliflower Crema- Good. Nice combo with the Uni. Also puffed rice added a nice texture variation. Eat it quickly or the puffed rice loses most of that texture.
Duck Egg- OK but (never thought I would say this) not sure what the truffle added.
Oxtail Stuffed Pepper- Way over salted. Almost inedible.
Bone Marrow- I love bone marrow and this was OK. Not much marrow but nicely seasoned. Nice flavor combo with the almond and quince. Could not understand the addition of what appeared to be some crispy fried dough covered with melted butter. Would have been better not to add the butter which made the dish overly rich and greasy.
Highlights of the evening were the wine list- outstanding. Had a really nice Suertes del Marques. The desserts both of which, Pears with Marscarpone and Pudin de pan were excellent.
Overall Casa Mono is OK but there are much better places for a tapas type meal in Manhattan and or Brooklyn.

1  Thank cosmicdebris3
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Casa Mono is one of my regular go-tos in the city thanks to its great selection of tapas and wine. My personal favorites are beef cheeks and the razor clams. On our last visit, we tried a new wine from the northern coast of Spain at the sommelier's recommendation and were pleased.

Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

Close to Union square, easy with subway. We came from the Time sq. We got there at 22:00, the streets was quit and empty but the restaurant was full. Great atmosphere, we ate 5 dishes, each was perfect, we got help from the waiter, and he recommended us a great dushes and great wine! The dessert was amaizing. We ate chocolate ganach with cream fresh ice cream and carmelized bannanas.
Would defenitly come back and recommend!!