“Cute place, cranky help”
Review of Alice's Tea Cup

Alice's Tea Cup
Ranked #23 of 475 Coffee & Tea in New York City
Cuisines: Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Cute place, cranky help”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I have been to Alices on several occasions; I love the scones and tea. I was meeting some friends in NY and thought it would be fun. When I called to make a reservation, I was told I had to call another number and ask for someone. When I got that person, she promptly told me she was busy and I should call back later (really?) Since I was in an airport and needed the reservation for the next day, I didn't let it go and she took the request. When we got to the restaurant, it was full but there was a table waiting for us. The place is very small. The way our table was situated, my chair butt up against a neighboring diner's chair at the table behind me. The waitress couldn't get past without one of us getting up. She was VERY impatient about this (as if we laid out the floor plan) The other diner eventually left but not before I was jumping up and down several times while trying to eat. Service was extremely slow and the waitress was in quite a mood....not in a nice way. In the end, food was tasty but the service was so bad, not sure I'd go back.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank rex89134

• Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
“Too much waiting around”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We looked online in advance to make a reservation, but it isn't possible to reserve in advance, the website advises to arrive and wait. Arrived at 11.10am in time for the breakfast/brunch menu. We were told it would be one hour or less wait. We decided to stay even though the hostess was stressed and curt. The wait area was busy and there weren't even enough seats to accommodate the waiting guests. When the children started to feel faint from hunger after 45 mins wait, we asked for hot chocolate to drink. It was not a welcomed request! These came after a further 10 minutes wait. By now we had been here nearly one hour. We asked if and when we would be seated, only to be told it would be another 30 minutes. The hostess was ignoring the waiting guests, and was quite rude. We decided. It to eat here based on the attitude of the hostess and the disorganized seating system.

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank CatCayman
Dania Beach, Florida
“return visit very disapointing”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

5 years ago i had a wonderful brunch with a relative. recently on our NY visit I brought my spouse promising a special start for our NY visit. We got pancakes and waffles both not done . we ordered additional fruit and got a spoonful for additional cost, 2 cups of coffee w/o refill offered and paid $35.-!

2 days later I went in and spoke to the manager, a young guy, who thanked me for the information and apologized, after i expressed my disappointment he offered me a cookie from a jar on the counter or another piece of cake, this was insulting and i told what i felt, so he invited us for a free meal asking us to call ahead of time. This is annoying. he could have left an instruction to his employees or give us a credit certificate.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank muki45
“Great”
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

Little pricey for lunch but fantastic experience. 30 different types of teas compliment a huge array of home made scones, sandwiches and soups. Staff were lovely as was the decor, ambience and china crockery. Highly recommend.

2 Thank Jimi R
North Landgrove, Vermont, United States
“Enchanting day in the city with grandchildren”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Great way to begin our city visit. Had a lovely brunch prior to a show Scones Benedict was perfect for the adults and crepes with custom fillings worked perfect for the children. The girls were sprinkled with fairly dust before their brunch. Parties of 6 or more need reservations or the wait time is long. The specialty teas were great. The berry tea can be served cold or hot and the Chi tea is great.

• Visited October 2013