“Great Experience and food”
Review of Alice's Tea Cup

Alice's Tea Cup
Ranked #20 of 683 Coffee & Tea in New York City
Cuisines: Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I went there for breakfast in early July with my wife and 3 kids (8y, 5y and 10m) for breakfast. We had a booking and our table was ready and waiting for us including a high chair for the baby. The café is themed on Alice in Wonderland and the kids loved looking at the paintings and knick knacks. They have a great selection of tea's - including non-caffeine ones for children. My kids loved to get a cup of tea and drink it like grown ups. The breakfast menu included eggs, hash and a selection of scones. We had a bit of everything and it was all very tasty. Ask for the daily selection of scones. The tables are quite spread out so you have room for the kids to move around and be a bit noisy without annoying others. The staff were very friendly and engaging - would definitely recommend it to anyone with kids.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

The best thing at the Chapter 1 location was the warm chocolate chip scone. In addition, the tea was very hot, as it should be. However, the room was warm and did not appear to be air conditioned (about 95 outside), and the water had no ice. I think the staff lacked energy because of the heat.

When I asked about the non-Alice teas on the menu, the wait staff said, "It is whatever the distributor sends us." Most restaurants with "tea" in the name have descriptions of each tea and/ or brand on the menu. The dessert that my partner and I had to agree on and share turned out to be about four Tablespoons of mousse. Also, it seemed overpriced for what you got and the shabby condition of the surroundings.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

We came here just after the blizzard back in February. Our flight was canceled and so we were stuck in the city. I'm not complaining.
We ordered scones, a chicken potatoe hash, eggs Benedict and tea. It was all delicious! The scones were fresh baked and delicious. I especially liked the chicken potato hash, crispy potatoes and perfectly seasoned chicken.
Its worth a visit if you are in the upper west side.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Alice's Tea Cup on 64th street near Lexington has become a must visit experience for members of my children's writing group when visiting our friend who lives near this fanciful tea parlor and restaurant. Surrounded by whimsical Alice references via text and pictures, what children's author would not appreciate a wish and a bit of fairy dust to make the sale of their children's book become a reality.

But then there's the food! For brunch, an egg white omelet stuffed with vegetables and a satisfying portion of melted gruyere cheese was delicious. Served with a side of baked apple slices and thin crisp asparagus, I could not have been more pleased with my dish. Of course it's impossible to resist having a scone as well, and we ordered two to share, a pumpkin caramel treat that was not very scone like but amazingly delicious. The lemon blueberry scone was great as well. The only thing I would do next time is share the omelet if ordering a scone for each of us. It was very filling.

I'm a big fan of true clotted cream, something I was fortunate to experience on two trips to Cornwall, but the cream and preserves served at Alice's was a nice substitute.

Breakfasts averaged about $12.00, scones $3.50 with preserves and 'clotted cream'. A six cup pot of tea, $6.00.

Scones and tea were served quickly, a bit of a wait on the omelets but they were piping hot.
I would definitely recommend a stop here (or one of the other Alice's in the city) and don't forget to ask to be fairy dusted on your way out. You will sparkle all day!!

Reviewed July 3, 2013

The restaurant is a little more shabby than chic, but the scone with clotted cream and jam were very yummy. My iced tea was green tea and it was a little too minty. Should have chosen the mango iced tea, but it was a nice break from the heat.