“Fun, Innovative, and Playful”
Review of Alice's Tea Cup

Alice's Tea Cup
Ranked #20 of 479 Coffee & Tea in New York City
Cuisines: Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Who doesn't love Alice in Wonderland? This was the perfect spot for an intimate and charming bridal shower for close friends and family. The room was just the right size for 13 guests. The extensive variety of teas brought to the table were aromatic and delicious. The tea sandwiches were fresh and creative to fit every taste bud . The china and teapots were eclectic and reminded me of my mom's growing up. It all just came together in the most delightful way just as Julie Andrews sang. I couldn't say enough good things about the staff and their excellent, attentive service. Oh did I mention the phenomenal scones and other bakery treats? Every bite was sinful. Abundance and variety to say the least. The decor was very intriguing as well - with hand paintings and writings on every wall, storybooks on shelves and a little store up front which sold all the relative trinkets, teas and bakery items. The only critical thing I could say is that there is only one restroom for the entire restaurant and there are 4 steps to get into the place which isn't handicap accessible. Otherwise, this was quite a nice experience. It's also great for children's parties and the young at heart.

2  Thank audreylebowitz
There are newer reviews for Alice's Tea Cup

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Happened to find this great tea house and just loved it! Our girls were greeted with a sprinkling of fairy dust and then we went back to our tea in the cozy atmosphere of Alice's hideaway. Creative, eclectic decor and fresh, delicious food! Tea menu is extensive, our choice was a breakfast blend to share with our girls. Highly recommend with or without children.

Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Been here twice now. Great fun tea & awesome scones. Get a scone, egg & tea - perfect & not too spendy.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We loved our visit to Alice's Tea Cup. Very relaxed atmosphere. Unbelievable scones with clotted cream and jam. The two scones and pot of tea for $12 was well worth it. Upon entry they dusted my 7-year old with fairy dust (at our request) and she glittered all day. Great way to spend our first morning in NYC.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

This place is so totally my cup of tea. The menu is a total pleasure: I especially like the nice sandwiches (most recently, ham and gruyere on soft bread w/raisins = delish. Our entire family is very tea-oriented, even our two small kids. So why only a middling review? Because on our last visit the service was so needlessly, torturously slow that I wanted to stick a fork in my eye! The place was far from full. We waited 20 minutes for a table to be got ready (even tho several were empty and remained empty after our arrival). Another 15 minutes to have our order taken. . . . Watched other groups arrive and get served in the meanwhile . . . 45 minutes in, we finally got a pot of tea . . . holy moly people! We had to practically strap our kids into their seats, because they got so restive. We are smiling and friendly people, ourselves. And, if anything, sometimes overly polite in public situations, but: When our little son lifted the lid of one of the teapots for sale in the front, a peevish managerial sort working at the front snapped in a not-nice tone: "You break it, you buy it!!!" (Well, yes, of course! That's certainly understood!) For a restaurant that positions itself as kid-friendly and kid-approved -- with their fairy wings, etc -- this was a "yikes!" and "yow!" moment. I mean, we've been to tea at the Connaught in London with our kids -- and they have perfectly nice manners, for small children -- and they use a tea pot every day of their lives . . . and, well, you know what? You probably shouldn't be so quick to snap at customers, Alice's Tea Cup. (I'm sure sometimes kids rampage thru and get out of hand, but this was not at all the case here.) And if you need to step in and remind parents of the rules -- which, really? do you? -- you should find a way to do it without the judgmental tone. PS: Also, I like mismatched china and old things, and the whole "tea party at grannie's" atmosphere, but things are looking slightly too careworn and shabby in Chapter One right now.