“Way Downhill”

Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We had a pleasant, affordable lunch here a while back (chatted with the owner, who seemed like a nice guy) and just returned for dinner. We experienced (1) a surly waiter who seemed intolerant of food allergies, (2) tiny portions, (3) high prices, and (4) few vegetarian options. And the pasta was too hard. Stay clear.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Got a last minute reservation.
Got there early, no problem, our table was ready.
Small feeling room. Busy but could hear people at the table.
Lovely service. Beautiful presentation. Exquisite tastes. The Caesar salad is visually amazing. Farfalle&Salmon divine. Volcano dessert is sublime. No kidding!! Coffee perfect.
I am back in NYC next week and have made reservations to introduce friends to this secret spot on 17th. Shh. It's all mine!

1  Thank jjwtoronto
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I was in Cancun a couple of years ago and a friend ordered "wheel pasta" (cooked spaghetti poured in to a huge wheel of parmesan cheese, creating a luscious sauce of creamy deliciousness). I found Basta Pasta (not sure why the listing has it as Pasta Basta - it's the other way around) in NYC when I returned because I wanted to experience it on my own. I've been a few times over the years and it's amazing - friends always rave when I take them there as well. It's a tiny place and is actually part of a restaurant group from Japan (there are a few locations around the world) - you'd never expect an italian restaurant to be run by japanese people (and wouldn't expect it to be nearly as good as it is)! You cannot go here without having the spaghetti done in the parmesan wheel - it's then sprinkled with fresh basil and topped with a few slices of the yummiest proscuitto ever. My mouth waters just thinking of it! I also had a salad that came with a piece of awesome crispy chicken - so good! It's a rather small place so you may need to get there early if you don't have a reservation. Prices are very reasonable considering where you are. Enjoy!

1  Thank ABB1976
Reviewed April 2, 2014

This was recommended and by locals which may say more about the locals than the cuisine. You know you're in trouble when you enter the restaurant and the staff appear to be all Japanese. Nothing against the Japanese but I would be equally concerned if I went for sushi and it was run by Italians.

Its kind of Italian but not as I know it. My cotoletta di vitello alla milanese looked as though the meat had been reconstituted and was wafer thin. The menu to be fair was varied and not the usual stuff you'd see in an Italian but then sometimes the favourites are favourites for a reason.
The wine list on the other hand is another matter. superb.

1  Thank bambinoimages
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Great place! Parmesan pasta is amazing. Just don't like the chairs. Just be careful trying to reserve on opentable b/c it's the wrong place. They only do phone reservations

1  Thank Jonathan Y