“A filthy martini to rule them all”
Review of Chez Napoleon

Chez Napoleon
Ranked #2,855 of 14,032 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French, Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I must begin by expressing my apologies to the frogs… this isn’t some racially derisive comment – I mean the half a dozen or so frogs who gave their lives so that I could eat their wonderfully tasty legs. Thank you my little green friends. Chez Napoleon is worth visiting just for this one dish (Cuisses De Grenouilles). It is also worth visiting for the Filthy Martini (crushed green olive vodka martini). And it is also worth visiting just for old-world feel. And then there is the soufflé - but this list is getting long and silly. We were actually steered away from this venue by a concierge, who instead provided a list of more modern French restaurants. I am really glad we ignored his advice, as this was one of the best meals on our US trip. The atmosphere is relaxed, the food is exquisite and it is very, very hard to leave. Being complete pigs, we ordered the Foie Gras /and/ the duck pate – both were good but the Foie Gras was particularly luscious. As previously noted, several frogs died for a good cause for my main course, and my partner had the veal (Veau Forestiere). Finally, a pre-ordered chocolate soufflé and a Peche Melba – I cannot describe how good this was – words fail me. If you like quiet, home-style French restaurants, you cannot go past Chez Napoleon.

1  Thank KierenX

Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

This is a delightful restaurant, convenient for a pre show dinner. The staff are very helpful (and genuinely French) and the good is exquisite. Highly recommend - try to get there at a weekend when grandmama (92!) apparently still personally supervises the cooking

Reviewed December 4, 2013

We've been going to this tiny little place for about 40 years. Looks just like a little Parisienne bistro and the menu reflects that. Nothing "nouveau" - just traditional French classics. We love it.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

We spend much of the year in Paris and have some favorite bistrots there that we have loved for many years. My wife is now in charge of NYC restaurant selection (because of my not so good record!)
This was her choice last night and it was wonderful!! I had the Ris de veau which is the equal of our favorite in Paris. My wife had the calves liver, which was also wonderful. After dinner we shared cherries jubilee. Wine list is designed to give very good wines without breaking the bank. We will definitely return. Don't look for glitzy. There's sure lots of that in NYC, but this one is surely wonderful.

Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Restaurant was recommended in the Rough Guide to NY, very homey/ old school feel to the place. Waitress from Ecuador was the friendliest waitress we had during our entire visit . Ordered an array of beef bourginon, steak, mussels everything was so enjoyable. We also had soufflé for dessert- truly delicious! Sancerre wine was reasonably priced too.Overall first impression not great but we all had a lovely evening and would recommend it!