“Not really worth queueing for”

Clinton St. Baking Company & Restaurant
Ranked #257 of 13,843 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown Manhattan (Downtown)
Reviewed September 4, 2016

We went early on Thursday morning, so had the fortune not to queue up to go in. Had it been a weekend, I've seen long queues snaking out.

Anyways, I ordered a Southern breakfast, which was good, but not the most awesome thing I ate even on the day. Also ordered were huevos rancheros, blueberry pancakes and french toast.

The servings are normal NYC sized servings, which was startling to a non-American. Even my espresso would be close to a triple espresso in Europe.

If I could give this 3.5 instead of 4, I would. It's good, not great. Maybe I'm missing something? Don't think I would repeat a visit unless I wanted to join a very long queue to look cool.

Date of visit: September 2016

Reviewed September 4, 2016

Clinton St Baking Company has to be one of the best places I've ever eaten at. After reading a few reviews online we were intrigued to see if the place lives up to its reputation. It certainly does!
My Mum and I got to the restaurant at around 8am and were seated immediately. The waiters were extremely friendly but did not try and impose or rush us. After ordering our food, it came relatively quick and was not piping hot. We both ordered pancakes which have your chosen topping cooked in the batter as well as sprinkled on top. They were so delicious I didn't want to have any other pancakes for the rest of the trip because I knew they wouldn't be as good. I highly recommend Clinton St.

Reviewed September 3, 2016 via mobile

So I had read the rave reviews about this place and had to give it a try. Arrived around 930 wait was 20 minutes. We got called before the 20 minutes was up, but the line was soon up to a 45 minute wait. They use a text system and you can even check where you are in the wait on an app. Atmosphere was great. I had the banana walnut pancakes, they were delicious not overly sweet. They sugar cured bacon was delicious but almost sticky like candy. Only downfall was it's cash only in the AM.

Date of visit: September 2016
Reviewed August 31, 2016 via mobile

After reading the menu and reviews we were really craving their breakfast. While staying in the lower east end, we have walked down there several times only to be put off by the long line outside. Finally on this trip, we arrived on a Tuesday morning 9:30am, waited 15 minutes and got a table. Waitress quickly let us know they were out of smoked salmon and took our order which arrived fast. So fast that the toast flew off the Farmer's Breakfast on the way to the table. The server said he would bring more toast, but never did. After delivering the food, it is like they are done with you until they bring the check. It was unbelievable how fast the hostess was there when I set down that credit card to tell me "cash only". I never saw any sign. The breakfast was good and fresh, but not worth the wait, neglectful service and the cost. The biscuit on my Country Breakfast was dense and heavy. I must compliment them on their fresh eggs, raspberry jelly and orange juice, really nice. But overall really disappointing. I do not know what to think of all the great reviews. Next time we want to spend $25 a person on breakfast we will go back to Schiller's.

Reviewed August 30, 2016 via mobile

We arrived expecting big queues, only to find out that they had expanded into the building next door - so there were no queues! Absolutely wonderful food - it never disappoints!