“A taste of New York”

Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
Neighborhood: West Village
Reviewed April 26, 2014

We visited Corner Bistro on the recommendation of a friend who was in NY recently, and it certainly didn't disappoint as an introduction to America on the first night of our trip.

Corner Bistro is located in a quaint corner of the city that isn't overrun with tourists. This, however, is not to say that the venue isn't busy - and with limited seating, there was a queue forming as we left. The menu is small, but didn't need to be any bigger as the signature burgers were cooked perfectly. Coupled with the comfortable atmosphere, it is clear why so many people are drawn here.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Went to this place due to all the positive reviews on the burgers and the fact that it was listed in a guide book we had. Supposedly it is the best burger in NY according to the raters here. I wonder how that could be, since this was the most boring burger I have ever eaten in my entire life! And by that i really mean; ever!
The meat in itself is ok, but not much taste. Generally, not much taste in anything. Just plane with bread, some leafs, tomato, bacon and cheese. The fries looks store bought and boring as well. And they are supposed to be famous for the fries... I've had tons of burger meals in other places tastier than this.
If this is the best NY have to offer, then I can not imagine what those people eat otherwise. You probably make a better burger at home. Do not travel accross town for the single purpose of getting this burger.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

We had a few beers at the bar, followed by a meal in the diner area. Simple but well prepared burgers with a cosy atmosphere and friendly bartender. Worth a visit.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

I wouldn't be seen dead anywhere near a McDonalds or any other fast-food-junk-purveyor, but was dragged in here by a friend, a local, who says it serves the best hamburgers in N.Y. Well, the price was cheap enough that I sniffily ordered one in the full expectation I would be shoving the plate away after first bite.
A clean plate later, and the French-fries were good too, I have to recant. My life is changed forever!
The cheapest local draught beer was well worth seconds.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, cash-only, sharpen elbows to cram in, somewhat "spit 'n sawdust, but great local atmosphere
I will be back!

Reviewed March 17, 2014

I have given the Corner Bistro several tries, and each time I have come away disappointed. It seems as if they make everything harder than it needs to be, from a long line, to cash only, to separate checks at the bar and for food, and then there is the wait once you finally get to actually sit down. First you wait for your waitperson, then you wait for your food, frequently seeing others who ordered after you getting served before you. And not because you ordered well done. They are just disorganized.

The burgers are nice sized, but the last time I was there, I ordered mine medium rare, and I was served a burger gray in the center, which I sent back. A while later I got a burger cooked to the right color, but it was probably about 40 minutes after we had sat down, which was after an hour wait, on a week night.

The beer selection is pretty limited, and I just don't get the hype. There are better burgers to be had with a lot less hassle.