“Great food, a hidden gem!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Cupping Room Cafe

Cupping Room Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Cupping Room Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #389 of 13,551 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining style: Home Style
Neighborhood: SoHo
Cross street: Broome
Description: The Cupping Room Cafe was established in 1977. It was originally a wholesale coffee establishment. Different blends of coffee were brewed and tasted by perspective customers. This act of blending and tasting different coffees is called cupping - hence the name The Cupping Room. The coffee tasting went so well that the owners decided to change the name from The Coffee Connection to The Cupping Room Cafe. They also decided to open the back of the store and sell coffee and pie to the local artists. The building hosting The Cupping Room is a landmark building. It was the first "tall" building in SoHo and is more than 100 years old. The high tin ceilings, hard wood floors, pot-belly stove and exposed brick walls are all part of the original setting. The Cupping Room was a home for artists and locals. Today it is still a neighborhood place where you can see the locals and the famous come together in our homey environment.
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great food, a hidden gem!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

When I first walked in from the entrance the placed looked small. But like many NYC restaurants, it opened up into a light and big dining room. The food was all very good, reasonably priced, and they didn't rush us on a Monday. So many things on the menu looked good I'll have to go back!

“Stumbled on a gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

We were on holidays with friends and decided to go to Soho to spend a few hours shopping and sight see. We walked around for awhile,then decided to go for brunch. We came across the Cupping Room, what a fantastic little restaurant, the place was hopping, the food was so delicious, and the service was great! It also was Mother's Day, so we really wanted somewhere special, this was the place!!!! On our way out, they gave everyone homemade cookies to enjoy!
I would definately go back again next time I am in New York!

Lafayette, Louisiana
“Favorite Spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

Recommended by a friend a few years ago, did not disappoint!! This has become one of our favorite spots when we visit New York. It has a great atmosphere - so fun and just all around adorable. The staff is so helpful and friendly. The food is absolutely delicious! My aunt had the Avocado & Jarisberg sandwich. The avocado on that sandwich was so fresh and delicious. My mom had the Middle Eastern Platter Salad, and said it was the best babaganoush she's ever had. I had the Bocconcini Sandwich and believe I could eat that every day and be happy. It's a great stop, especially if you want to sit and have a drink after shopping all day.

Orlando, Florida
“As good as I remember”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

I haven't been there in YEARS and it was as good as I remember, maybe even better. I had the homemade ravioli of the day, my friend had the fresh tuna salad and my husband had a Creekstone burger with Roquefort. I also had a locally (I think) brewed beer that was offered as a substitute for Amstel and I found it superior! I wish I remembered the name... The atmosphere was casual and cozy and you can't beat Soho for people gazing. Everything was delicious and plentiful even if it is pricey; it was worth it.

Visited April 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Great little find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

Recommended by a New Yorker friend, this restaurant has lovely ambience, very friendly and helpful staff, beautiful food, and live music. We went back again 2 nights later as we liked it so much. The only negative is the toilets, but everything else is so good that it doesn't matter! Love this place, will come back!

Visited April 2013