“This food is sooooooo GOOD”

El Malecon Restaurant
Ranked #2,488 of 13,633 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Pasadena
“This food is sooooooo GOOD”
Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

This is my first experience with Dominican food. And I must admit that any I have after this will have a lot to life up to. The chicken, lobster mofongo, plantains, and beans are just to die for!!! This place has a warm family vibe and staff is amazingly fast. If you come on a Sunday around 3 expect a wait. But the staff gets you seated pretty quickly. Trust me it's worth the wait. Yes add this to your list of must eat places in NYC.

1 Thank MarketingDiva

New York City, New York
“Best Yellow Rice”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I moved to Washington Heights from Hell's Kitchen (sigh, I know, what I get for getting engaged to a nurse at Columbia and couldn't turn down the gigantic hospital housing apartments)...
ANYWAYS. So I was bummed, Sad, to move from probably one of the most foodie parts of Manhattan, to a place I didn't even know was on the Island!

I probably get the whole chicken w/rice and beans combo 2-3 times a month. Their Whole chicken and rice deal is probably the best and most delicious in the city. GET THE YELLOW RICE. It has so much flavor, I eat it alone!

Their Modongo (tripe soup) isn't as good as others and their Maduros (Sweet plantains) aren't as caramelized as I normally prefer. But I still come back... for the yellow rice!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank kmbx21
“Great cuisine!”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We had a great experience here and really enjoyed the food! Lots of variety and great service! This was one of the best spanish restuarants ive had the pleasure of visiting.

Tucson, Arizona
“Cuban Style on Upper West Side”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

They call themselves "el rey del pollo" and my friends agree that their chicken is special. We eat fish and it was quite good=though beware the "crab meat" as it is fake.

Visited September 2012
New York Area
“A great place for everyone, especially if your Dominican.”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

This is not those restaurants that serve you just Dominican food, they serve a mix of both worlds. Not crowded on a Sunday morning or afternoon. Ordered a steak sandwich and it was a delish and it came in minutes! Sometimes, they can get your order wrong but this is in a rare basis. It happened to me, but I come here as much as I can so it is ok. Great Restaurant and a must go if you head to Washington Heights.

• Visited December 2011