“A great place for everyone, especially if your Dominican.”

El Malecon Restaurant
Ranked #2,505 of 13,826 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
New York Area
“A great place for everyone, especially if your Dominican.”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

This is not those restaurants that serve you just Dominican food, they serve a mix of both worlds. Not crowded on a Sunday morning or afternoon. Ordered a steak sandwich and it was a delish and it came in minutes! Sometimes, they can get your order wrong but this is in a rare basis. It happened to me, but I come here as much as I can so it is ok. Great Restaurant and a must go if you head to Washington Heights.

• Visited December 2011

New York City, New York
“Fairly Authentic Dominican on All Fronts”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

This restaurant is my go to place for tourist-friendly Dominican food. Although the kitchen is hit-or-miss at times, 95% of the time you get solid Dominican fare in an atmosphere that delights (to the Dominican taste) and with service that meets or exceeds Dominican standards. Take note: El Malecon is billed (in the Dominican community) as a bit of home in pretty lush surroundings. They are more than happy to serve the non-Dominican, but they do it Dominican-style. For those of us used to US customer service standards (even the lower standards of NYC), Dominican-style is markedly lower than what we would expect, especially if there is a problem. However, if you don't expect much on that front, you should thoroughly enjoy your experience.

• Visited May 2012
NYC
“A bit of Santo Domingo in NYC!”
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I LOVE THIS PLACE!!! The chicken is AMAZING! The food is outstanding, and it is ALWAYS crowded so that should be an indication. The only negative is that sometimes you have to wait a bit for a table... but it is totally worth the wait!!

• Visited January 2012
New York City, New York
“Good chicken does not make up for the horrific service”
Reviewed January 17, 2012

As a local of Washington Heights I have had an opportunity to eat here several times. As a newcomer to the neighborhood we put up with the long waits for food or to see the waitress for our bill. Now we know of other options with way more reasonable prices.

Oakland, California
“Dining in Dominican Harlem, New York”
Reviewed December 19, 2011

This place is known for its roasted chicken, and the frequent patronage of a lot well-known Dominicans in the community. The waiter appeared limited in English, and I insisted that he speak to me in Spanish because I needed the practice. When I'm in any Spanish-speaking restaurant, I tip better when I'm spoken to in Spanish.

My waiter was very good in helping me make my selections of roasted chicken with rice and beans, and a batido de chinola, a passion fruit shake, which the waiter assured me is “very Dominican;” just want I wanted----something very Dominican to try for the first time; quite tasty, I might add.

• Visited March 2011