“Go where New Yorkers go”

Elephant & Castle West
Ranked #1,569 of 14,520 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: West Village
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Elephant & Castle is one of the best restaurants in New York. The breakfast menu is excellent and the coffee, the part of breakfast that I hope will be good, is wonderful. The atmosphere is perfect, a small and cozy oasis in the village. The staff is quick to recommend something tasty, the attention to detail is welcoming and the quality is tops. I had breakfast there, the first time I went, and returned for lunch. Why try something else when I knew that place was perfect? I have returned many times when I get to New York and have never been disappointed. If Matthew Broderick frequents E & C [I've seen him twice] , why not me?

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Close to my favorite meal when visiting NYC - recommended to us by friends who live up there. Thoroughly enjoyed the fish tacos and cheddar & watercress sandwich. Their spiced cider was great for the chilly season!

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I saw a good review for Elephant and Castle and we were looking forward to eating at the said establishment.

On arrival we were greeted and sat down, it was fairly quiet as it was early afternoon, we had a nice meal the service was great and the food was to die for, great place to eat as the atmosphere was quaint and the toilets were immaculately clean and tidy.

Definitely a place to go to if you like burgers, my one was amazing.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

I saw a good review for Elephant and Castle and was very encouraged when I got there and met a regular who told me everything was great. I was seated rather quickly considering there were others waiting but I was a party of one and they found me a cute little corner. I was waited on quickly. I wanted something with potato pancakes but you couldn't get them on the side which I thought was strange so I had a choice of two entrees. One was eggs benedict on the potato pancakes and another was poached eggs, spinach, cheddar sauce and the pancakes. I wanted the eggs benedict but with the spinach instead of the ham or for them to stack the second entree but they couldn't do either. So I got the eggs benedict and just took the ham off it. They brought out bread and butter to start. The bread was not hot and the butter was cold so i didn't touch it until after my meal and used it to sop up the egg and cheese.

the entree was good, I loved the potato pancakes which reminded me of potato knish. I also got a mimosa to go with it. Service was OK, not overly attentive, my water was never refilled nor did they ask if I would like another mimosa. But the food was good enough for me to return if in the area. I just don't understand why the potato pancakes couldn't be al a carte or a side.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

After visiting the James Beard House for a business meeting, a colleague and I looked for a quick lunch. It was a freezing day and she was at the time several months pregnant. We needed to find something right nearby. Fortunately for us the sign for the Elephant and Castle got our attention. It looked a little dated, but that did not bother us.

Walking into the Elephant and Castle on a blustery NY day, was like awakening in a dream. We went from freezing to warm, cozy and blissful. Greeted and seated with charm and speed, we were about to have a fabulous lunch in one of the most charming spots ever! The tomato soup was near perfect, the chicken schnitzel was outstanding surpassed only by the white turnips with country ham. What a lunch!

If only I lived closer to this neighborhood gem; I would be there once a week at least.

Warm Wishes, Colin