“Excellent is in the Title for a Reason”

Excellent Dumpling House
Ranked #190 of 14,032 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Stumbled upon this place while around the Chinatown area and decided to give it a try because of all the Zagat awards on the door. While the line was extreme during the lunch hour, we patiently waited and got seated withing 15 minutes. The service was quick, and I had no complaints. Their spring rolls came with some of the best vinegar based sweet & sour sauce I've ever had! Dumplings were exceptional. Overall, I felt this was a great restaurant.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

We were walking in Chinatown and looking for something to eat; the menu on the outside of the restaurant looked interesting so we decided to stop. We looked for Tripadvisor leads and noticed on the door Zagat logo when we had already decided to go in.
The service was basic and fast, food extremely good, I did not expect such as good quality.
I first asked for the Beijing Duck but it was possible only to order the entire duck (as it should actually be) so I asked for other dishes and all of them were very good. Price was OK.
Do not miss this chinese restaurant if you like this cuisine.
POSITIVE ASPECTS:
very good food
fast service

NEGATIVE ASPECTS:
location is extremely basic.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stumbled upon this place looking for some nice "dumpling" restaurant in Chinatown.

First of all, this is no Din Tai Fung (why they don't have a NY branch, BTW?) or Mr Shi's in Beijing. No Michelin star food here, just honest dumplings and decent food at a reasonable price.

If you pass by and really feel like dumplings and Chinese food, that's a good place. Won't get out of my way to get there though.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

When you enter this restaurant for the first time you feel,completely lost! Green tiled interiors from another era even planet, waiters who speak very little english and tables where groups of completely unrelated diners share to partake in some of the honest to goodness meals that this restaurant offers.

We tried some of the dumplings including the pork and the crab/ shrimp dumplings. The quality was quite good. We also tried the roast duck egg roll also very good. The prices leave very little to complain and it is what is simple meals served simply!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I have spent a lot of time in Asia so I am quite fussy about Chinese food but I love excellent dumpling house. We turned up at 10:30am while they were still making the dumplings. Talk about fresh! . I had the spinach dumplings and the seafood dumplings which I loved. I had them steamed as I like them that way and they are healthier. My husband chose a mix platter of hot appetizers and had the best special Rangoons that either of us had ever tasted. It is very easy to find the restaraunt as it is right at the canal subway. The sevice was great, even though we were the first people there, we were greeted very politely and made to feel welcome. I loved havi breakfast there rather than lunch because we competent avoided the crowds. Highly recommended!