“Disappointing”

Gallagher's Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
Gallagher's Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #59 of 14,125 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Broadway
Transit: A, C & E trains to 50th Street and 8th Avenue, 1 train to 50th Street, and N, R & W trains to 49th Street.
Description: Gallaghers Steakhouse is an American steakhouse established in New York City in 1927. Located just steps from the dazzling lights of Broadway and the pulsing energy of Times Square, Gallaghers Steakhouse takes its rightful place at the very heart of New York City. For over 87 years, this is where the city's sports teams have announced their wins, where celebrities take their bows, and Wall Street titans toast their deals. With its trademark combination of the best USDA prime dry-aged steak, a classic cocktail list, and a wait staff that never forgets a name, Gallaghers serves up an authentic New York City experience you'll savor for years to come.
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I have been to Gallagher's three or four times but not in at least five years. I went recently before
the theatre and I was somewhat disappointed. It was not nearly as good as on my previous visits.

The people at the table next to us were served before we were and I mentioned to my dinner companion that they were eating chicken. Why go to a steakhouse to order chicken, I thought. Perhaps they were on to something. Although our dinner was not horrible, the porterhouse for two had very little taste and was somewhat tough - not what I expect from dry-aged, expensive steak. With so many excellent steakhouses in NY, I won't be hurrying back to Gallagher's, which is sad, because I always enjoyed it in the past.

2  Thank dannyo62003

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We had been to the Gallaghers in the New York New York Casino in Vegas so wanted to come to the original.
We were not dissapointed, the steaks were incredible and the service was excellent. Its certainly not cheap, but well worth the money for the best steak dinner on the planet

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Tables of two are positioned very close to other tables. Service was below average. Lame chops were very good and filet was good. Showed up last minute for dinner, so glad to find room, but not sure we would go back.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

After years of hearing how amazing Gallagher's Steak house was by my parents who visited years ago It was on my must try list.

Went for a early dinner and I had read that it had changed hands recently but was impressed with the display of all the Steaks as you walk in.

We were seated near the bar and the waiter was very helpful. I had been looking forward to having the Porterhouse Steak but was told that they did not sell that anymore so I went for the Sirloin. We tried the fries and some mushrooms for sides too.

The food arrived and although I could not say it was bad I would say it was ok at best. The fries were underdone and the steak was tasteless.

The service was good although bordering on a little too much.

The location is very central and its nice to walk through the entrance and to see the fridge with all the Steak's. We did not try the deserts.

It might be that I was expecting too much but at the prices they charge i cant see myself going back

1  Thank MaximusUK
Reviewed April 21, 2013

in a city of steakhouse Gallagher's can hold its own. We ate here for the first time and were pleased. The drinks are good and the atmosphere is old school with great pictures around the the room highlighted by checkered table clothes. We had steak tartare to start with and steak and chicken as a main courses. The sides are enormous and sufficient for four. Rice pudding was very good. A great place to go in the theartre district.