“Great Music, food so-so”
Review of Garage Restaurant and Cafe - CLOSED

Garage Restaurant and Cafe
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, International
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: Christopher St
Transit: Take the # 1 train to Christopher street and we are on the corner of Christopher and 7th or take the A,B,C,D,E,F to west 4th street and walk two blocks
Description: What used to be a garage in the 20's is now a casual American restaurant famous for its live Jazz & late night meals. Out-of-towners & locals alike dive into the a la carte dinners & Prix Fixe Brunches while watching the show. In the summer, the outdoor cafe is an airy spot for micro-brewed beers, raw bar selections & a wide range of fresh seafood & grilled steaks. In the winter, tables around the stone fireplace warm crowds.
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Went here after Christmas with my siblings and spouses for a Saturday brunch. The jazz was great, however, we were seated so close to the musicians (we specifically requested upstairs) that we could barely hear eachother speak. We all agreed that the food was nothing to rave about - I had the eggs benedict served with some garlic mashed potatoes (did not know what they were when the came to the table) and they did not go with my meal at all - everyone seemed to get these potatoes and way too much garlic, no one enjoyed them. My sister ordered the 3 slices of French toast, which in reality was once slice of bread cut in half and one other half, hence the "3" slices. Not enough waiters and finally got our wine halfway through our meal. We would have stayed longer at the bar, but decided to look for another place to finish our holiday get together. Would not go back, and would not recommend unless you just want to have a drink at the bar and listen to some good music.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

I went to the Garage last night with a couple of colleagues and had a great time.

When you combine live jazz music, with freshly shucked oysters and a chilled glass of Sauvignon Blanc, you really can't go wrong.

Overall, you are choosing this place because of the ambiance and location (lots of local bars nearby and also the excellent Comedy Cellar). The food is above average, if not excellent: I had the seared tuna on a bed of risotto, it was slightly overlooked, yet tasty. The oysters were superb and the lobster cocktail also scored very highly (not so much a cocktail, more of a dressed lobster split into two portions). The price isn't crazy, especially considering you get live entertainment as part of the package.

So, if you are travelling through Lower Manhattan and fancy a nice evening, pop into the Garage!

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We were just meandering around Greenwich village, when it started to snow. It was Lunchtime & this place was across the road.it was a Saturday, they do a jazz brunch 12-4 $16.95 incl Mimosa cocktail.
I had the vanilla bean pancakes with a coconut butter. Gorgeous! My husband & son had steak 'n eggs - again good. Our only problem was we were sat next to the drummer and band- but we hadn't booked, so couldn't complain. Music was good, great ambience, food good, definitely worth a trip!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

What a great place so much better than the blue note

you are not crammed like sardines excellent dinner jazz

good service and excellent food

definitely have the mahi mahi but steaks and seafood are all good

a definite one not to miss get there early and walk around greenwich village

Reviewed December 30, 2012

dinner, we had to find 4 seats at the bar. That was a little obnoxious. My sister and I got drinks that were $12 each and over priced. I got the strawberry shortcake martini and you could see the different components separating at one point. We got the dessert platter, which was really good. There was a jazz quartet playing and we stayed for about 45 minutes and i enjoyed it (and im not big on jazz to begin with). I'd have to come back to try an actual meal here to make up my mind....

1  Thank Christine G