“Second time, last time”

Great Jones Cafe
Ranked #1,971 of 14,032 Restaurants in New York City
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Description: With a bust of Elvis in the window, a bright orange paint job and Don DeLillo's similarly titled novel framed on the wall, it just oozes cool.
Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

We were there last weekend. Food was good as usual. My husband and I both ordered the smothered eggs. Last time I was there, I got an extra biscuit and my friend got corn bread, but this time we were told that since the smothered eggs came with biscuits already, it was cancelled out. Fine. That's not why I am complaining today. The reason I am upset with this place is because I got my credit card statement today, and I was charged twice. OK. It happens. Maybe the waitress thought it didn't go through. But what's weird is that the two charges didn't have the same amount! off by a dollar. It actually looks like the waitress added one dollar to her tip. Really? A dollar? The original tip was 17% which is standard, considering I was cheated out of one biscuit. So, as much as I LOVE biscuits and gravy, I don't think I am ever going back to this place again. And if you do visit, make sure you check your credit card statement.

2  Thank mikitruax

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I am travelling to NYC 3-4 times a year and I always end up at Jones!
The best Bloody Marys and/or Cajun Martinis to start up the nite.
Creole wings, a Chili and Key lime pie and you feel like a King!

Great music from the jukebox and great staff........

1  Thank HerrEgg
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We visited Great Jones Cafe on the last evening of our sight seeing holiday in New York and the food was lovely. My husband had pulled pork sandwich and fries and I had a pork & black bean chili, it was the ultimate comfort food, huge portions cooked to perfection. The staff were very friendly and there was a good selection of drinks. The dining room was nicely decorated and very cosy.

2  Thank Blanche S
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Southern. Cajun. Comfort. That's what you get here. This long-time New York standard has provided something others don't for years. Is the food great? No. But that's not the point. The food is good and it represents something missing in New York City: home.

Brunch is the main attraction in my book. The coffee is good and the portions are large. The menu is small but there are enough options for most needs. This isn't health food, but it is generous, hot, tasty.

As is often the problem with this kind of food, the massive quantities of fat seem inadequately seasoned. This was true for main courses but the sides were more balanced. Grits had loads of flavor as did home fries. The biscuit, on the other hand, was nothing special.

If you accept what you are in for, this is a reliable, solid alternative to yet another diner or pancake house.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

What a pleasant surprise this place was! To be honest, I wasn't expecting much because I haven't really found a place in Manhattan that serves really satisfying Southern food. But the smothered scrambled eggs with biscuits and gravy at Great Jones Cafe was a dream come true. Everything was just right and when they were combined in one dish, I honestly thought I was eating at a diner in Nashville! Can't wait to go back for more Southern goodness!!!