“Cajun/Creole”

Great Jones Cafe
Ranked #1,971 of 14,032 Restaurants in New York City
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Description: With a bust of Elvis in the window, a bright orange paint job and Don DeLillo's similarly titled novel framed on the wall, it just oozes cool.
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Was at Great Jones' in the late evening and for lunch. Had a drink in the evening. Music was on a level so we could talk without screaming, ambiance was nice. For lunch I had a veggie-burger WITH avocado as an extra (recommanded by a very nice waitress). Food is made from scratch and you can taste it.. it was just 'superb'! The café doesn't quite "tell" us on the outside how nice it- and the food is, so just go inside and try and you will not be disappointed :)

1  Thank Dahlia74

Reviewed May 5, 2012

A review from a local's perspective. We live in NYC and Jones is our favorite burger joint, we've been there dozens of times. And we have done extensive research on the burger subject, Blue Smoke being a close second. They also do a great andouille po boy. The sautéed kale has some heat and is awesome. Lots of creole dishes, blackened catfish, gumbo, etc. Menu changes daily. Highly recommend for an underrated, authentic local spot with great food and cool, chill servers.

1  Thank lalabbott
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Great service and lively atmosphere...love the menu.

Reviewed January 26, 2012

Having recently relocated to New York, friends recommended a few drinks at 6pm-ish on a Tuesday night at Great Jones Cafe.

I arrived early and even though there were a few people at the bar and tables, I liked the relaxed vibe, which matches the decor. The barman was friendly without being in-your-face, and service was good having made me a perfect bombay sapphire and tonic.

Whilst waiting for my friends I ended up salivating at the meals that were passing me especially the jambalaya but having already eaten I noted to come back here.

The evening progressed with my friends ordering margueritas, shaggy (rum) cocktail - which they have on a blackboard of drink specials and more bombay sapphires.

We were at the bar the whole time and even though the place very quickly packed in we found that people flowed in and out quite quickly so we all managed to get seats at the small bar. We did order snacks of kale (divine), cornbread with honey (yummy) and 3 sets of fries because they were just so good, the best I have tasted. Between the food, drinks and the vibe, I will definitely be back with my husband and friends.

Just to add to my review, I would say to bear in mind that this is a small place so just come with a relaxed mind, expecting that you may have to wait during busy periods. Even on a Tuesday night it was busy and my friend who is a regular said it's always like this,which I think is testament to its good service, food and affordability. So I would say come earlier than when you would want to eat ie not starving!, enjoy the vibe, have a cocktail and enjoy the food. I already can't wait to go back there!

Reviewed January 24, 2012

Had an IPA and the blackened catfish and a Bloody Mary.
Really good, nice music as well.