“Always nice - consistent”
Review of Great Jones Cafe

Great Jones Cafe
Ranked #2,013 of 13,937 Restaurants in New York City
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Description: With a bust of Elvis in the window, a bright orange paint job and Don DeLillo's similarly titled novel framed on the wall, it just oozes cool.
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Great service and lively atmosphere...love the menu.

There are newer reviews for Great Jones Cafe

Reviewed January 26, 2012

Having recently relocated to New York, friends recommended a few drinks at 6pm-ish on a Tuesday night at Great Jones Cafe.

I arrived early and even though there were a few people at the bar and tables, I liked the relaxed vibe, which matches the decor. The barman was friendly without being in-your-face, and service was good having made me a perfect bombay sapphire and tonic.

Whilst waiting for my friends I ended up salivating at the meals that were passing me especially the jambalaya but having already eaten I noted to come back here.

The evening progressed with my friends ordering margueritas, shaggy (rum) cocktail - which they have on a blackboard of drink specials and more bombay sapphires.

We were at the bar the whole time and even though the place very quickly packed in we found that people flowed in and out quite quickly so we all managed to get seats at the small bar. We did order snacks of kale (divine), cornbread with honey (yummy) and 3 sets of fries because they were just so good, the best I have tasted. Between the food, drinks and the vibe, I will definitely be back with my husband and friends.

Just to add to my review, I would say to bear in mind that this is a small place so just come with a relaxed mind, expecting that you may have to wait during busy periods. Even on a Tuesday night it was busy and my friend who is a regular said it's always like this,which I think is testament to its good service, food and affordability. So I would say come earlier than when you would want to eat ie not starving!, enjoy the vibe, have a cocktail and enjoy the food. I already can't wait to go back there!

Reviewed January 24, 2012

Had an IPA and the blackened catfish and a Bloody Mary.
Really good, nice music as well.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

local, down to earth, friendly - got great jambalaya and gumbo. but the other dished I saw comming out make me want to go back for the hamburgers and other iitems. It is a must go!

1  Thank BobMiles10003
Reviewed November 22, 2011

After checking out reviews we decided to try this place, particularly as it classed itself as family friendly. As three 30 something's with a 9 month baby, we were looking for a place for lunch. Upon arrival we were only ones in the place and were shown to a table by polite waitress. This is the end of the positives for this review. The manager / owner then came out and when we asked him if he had a high chair he just gauped blankly at us. When we prompted further he tutted and walked off. Odd. We then asked the waitress and she brought one out.
Whilst perusing the menu, the manager came back and asked us to move our stroller. It was neatly out of the way in the corner. He claimed that it was blocking one stool at the bar where a customer 'may' need to sit. Mmmm... Again a very odd comment given all ten tables and six bar stools were empty as we were only people in there. When I asked what he would like us to do - he rudely grunted about the inconvenience we had caused and ordered us to move it to the kitchen area. Was about to move it when we thought 'why on earth are we giving custom to such a rude individual who has no manners or customer service skills'. So instead we left and went to a great Italian over the crossroads next to Bowery Hotel. Avoid Great Jones cafe at all costs and give your hard earned cash to a more deserving business. And to the owner - I suggest you don't tick the family friendly box, as your dodgy cafe is anything but!

1  Thank MrsSym