“CHEAP MEAL!”

Gray's Papaya
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Greenwich Village
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Who says you can't eat cheap in New York. We stop here every year and we love it! There are a few options. Two hot dogs and a drink for $4.95 and you can get saurkraut and/or cooked onions as the free toppings plus a juice (anything except pineapple) with ketchup and mustard to put yourself at the counter. They also have slices of pizza for $1. We usually get some of each. We had the fries once. I can't remember the price, but if you request the cheese, they don't skimp on it! There are no tables here, just a counter by the window. We stand there and watch as people walk by. ......and there are lots of people walking by! It's a great way to people-watch. The counter isn't what I would call "clean," but I manage to wipe it with napkins well enough to stand there. We don't put the food directly on the counter anyway. It's not air conditioned. It's VERY small, and there are no restrooms. But if you're looking for a cheap place to grab a bite, this is the right place!!

Reviewed September 12, 2013

This is worth a visit if only to learn the amazing health benefits of papaya juice, which are trumpeted on every available surface! Their signature beverage actually was refreshing and had an almost creamy texture. The other 'fast food' offerings looked like standard fare but at a much lower price tag than most surrounding restaurants. I recommend bringing some cash and grabbing something quick before you get in line to wait forever at the more trendy (and pricey) local establishments.

Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

If you are feeling hungry and want to have a great hot dog, you have to visit gray's papaya. You have to try one of the juices with your hot dog.
Furthermore, the location right now is incorrect. The adress is 2090 Broadway, New York, NY 10023. Take one of the red line trains 1, 2 or 3 up to 72nd street. It is an express station so you can use local and express trains.
In germany I saw a movie about it, so I had to visit it.
After your lunch, central park is only a few blocks away to digest ;-)

Reviewed July 31, 2013

What's not to like? Great dogs, great price, papaya juice. What else do you need. I think I ate about 20 hot dogs over the duration of stay. I hear that with the economy in the states it could go out of business - don't let it happen NYC!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Well nothing fancy or anything like that but if you are looking for a quick meal you are hangover or you are just hungry and with not a lot of money this is your place, I got addicted to them you have to try them at least once.