“Quaint, quirky Mediterranian dining”
Review of Hourglass Tavern

Hourglass Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Hourglass Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #648 of 13,935 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 8th & 9th Avenues (We are on Restaurant Row)
Transit: The Hourglass Tavern is 4 blocks away from The Port Authority Bus Terminal. Nearby subway services include The A,C,E,N,W and 1,2,3 trains. We are within a short walking distance of Times Square, countless Hotels and Theatres.
Description: We are located in a 4 story renovated brownstone on famed restaurant row in New York City and a welcoming staple in the neighborhood for 34 years! We have 3 distinctly different floors for service. 1-Original Tavern, 2-Bettibar, & 3-The Top of the Glass-available for private events. Our kitchen was built to service 14 seats on the first floor but now accommodates the requests of 62 throughout. Hours: Dinner service begins 4p.m. M/T - 11 p.m. , Wed./Th. -12 Midnight, Fri. -1 a.m. Saturday & Sunday Brunch 11:00 a.m.- 3p.m. (last order at 2:55) w/$5 Cocktails & complimentary muffins. Dinner Sat. 4p.m. -1a.m. Sun.4-12 Midnight. Bettibar (on2) 5p.m.- 4 a.m. every evening with $5 Happy Hour Specials 5-10p.m. If you're not a local, you will feel like one when you're done!
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Found this enchanting restaurant on-the-fly while looking for a place to eat dinner. Dining area is small, but comfortable on the ground floor. A family owned, Italian feel. Not many tables in the dining area which was just fine. The smallish kitchen is open to the dining area which added to the quaint atmosphere. Assortment of different entrees, not all Italian. Some of the best house wine of our NYC trip. Upstairs is a rustic bar and a very clean WC.

There are newer reviews for Hourglass Tavern

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Been going to this restaurant since 2002, but this was my first time back since the new ownership took over. It was also my last time back since the new ownership took over. Everything that I loved about this place is now completely gone from the great welcome you would always receive upon walking in to the myriad of choices for the pre-theater prix fixe menu. The options were now down to about 5 choices, and most of them did not sound too appetizing. I was also read a list of four specials which I mistakenly believed to be part of that menu but later on, found out they were not(Definitely my fault for assuming), but it's pretty bad when one of the specials was already gone at 6:00(Especially since it was the one I wanted to order).What I did have, the rack of lamb, was ordinary at best along with bland mashed potatoes and tasteless broccoli and then to top it all off, the restaurant's specialty dessert, the famous chocolate mouse was nowhere to be seen on the menu. The personal touches and friendly service that I always so looked forward to appear to be long gone as well. I guess like they say, nothing lasts forever, and I will always have my fond memories of what a great place this used to be. The good news is, it's not hard to find another really good restaurant in New York City.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Ten of us ate here on a Saturday night before going to a play. We ate on the third floor. A cozy room with a small bar...warm and welcoming. We all went for prix fix dinners; all of us enjoyed our meals (the ribeye was a bargain) and the waiter was very efficient and attentive. Each couple had two drinks, a salad (or soup), a tart, dinner, and dessert. The bill was 82 per couple; quite a bargain for the Broadway area! Definitely recommended....

One warning: VERY steep steps if you have any kind of health issue! None of us did...

Reviewed August 24, 2012

If you are heading east on 46th street from 9th Avenue, this is the 1st restaurant on the left hand side of the street. Just stop here. You don't need to look any further. We ate here last night, with only 1 hour and 20 minutes before a 7:00PM curtain. We explained our rush to the waitress, who was very attentive and accommodating. Even as the main dining room filled up, she never forgot us outside.

Our appetizers and entrees came out quickly. The food was extremely well cooked and tasty. The waitress even threw in a couple of Phylo appetizers, even though we didn't order the Prix Fix. The prices were reasonable, especially considering the portion sizes. The "Snacklette" Menu was great. The wine was fabulous as well.

I definitely will come back soon to sit outside, and I plan to leave a lot more time to lounge, eat, chat with friends, and people watch.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

We dined on the third floor and it was great! Cordial service and delicious, unpretentious food. We enjoyed the chicken fetuccine and shrimp catalina. I highly recommend for pre-theater dinner.