“Good chicken, good fries...watch out for "blackened"”

Island Burgers and Shakes
Ranked #61 of 13,684 Restaurants in New York City
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: A West Coast-style, French-fryless burger shack that attracts a deservedly cultish following.
“Good chicken, good fries...watch out for "blackened"”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

My wife and I scouted this place out as part of a trip to NYC.

We both had Chicken sandwiches, which they cooked perfectly. My wife is a more "vanilla" type of eater, so she opted for the chicken with american cheese. She said it was good.

I had the "It's a Mad Mad World". This is there blackened chicken with pesto, salsa, red onion, and pickled relish with cheese on a pita. It was very good with a lot of different flavors, but be warned. It is overpowered with cajun seasoning. When I think of blackened chicken, I think slightly hit with cajun seasoning cooked into it. "Blackened" at Island Burgers means that they take a whole bunch of cajun seasoning and dump it directly on to the chicken, pita, pickles, everything. It still tasted very good, just very overpowered by the spice. Keep in mind, it is on the "Hot" section of the menu, so I should have known. But, it still tasted very very good, I was just overwhlemed by the amount of "blackened" that was on there.

I don't know if it is because I am not from NYC, but this place was expensive for what you got. To me, paying $14 for a chicken sandwich is a little much, unless it is earth shattering good. This was good, but the price made me like it less.

Also, this place it SMALL, like really small. It didn't take away from anything, just be warned that on a crowded day, you may have to wait.

• Visited July 2012

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
arlington
“Combinations are wonderful”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We had two burgers here-- the combinations are inspired. The burgers themselves are very nice, perfectly cooked, juicy. Maybe it's my lack of imagination that makes me value a variety of suggested toppings. I had the Staten Island (avocado, blue cheese, bacon, etc.) and it was delicious.

Visited July 2012
Edinburgh
“Ever wanted or had a hairy shake?”
Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

Severely disappointed. My partner and I went tonight to have a black and white shake and a strawberry shake. I had two mouthfuls and what did I find.... A big black thick hair!! God only knows how one gets a hair in a shake. I immediately told the manager and she took it away but by that stage my partner couldn't stomach his so we told her we were leaving. She insisted on payment for my partners shake. I couldn't believe it. The owner was present and couldnt be annoyed to put his coffee down to apologise so we paid our $6 and left. I dread to think what's in the food if my vanilla shake had a long man hair in it.

Cupertino, California
“Really Good Burger Place”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

As a visitor to New York I can't really comment on other burger places, but I was very impressed with Island Burgers. I can't believe it is not one of the top burger places. We also ate at 5 Napkin burger, another highly recommended burger place, and I slightly preferred the food here. They have a great selection of burgers and grilled chicken, including many spicy versions which I really appreciated. (I had the Napalm chicken which was very hot indeed.) I've heard their baked potatoes are very good, but we went with fries and the fries were excellent - just the way we like them (and in my opinion better than 5 Napkin). It is a small restaurant, so as others have said you will most likely have to wait, although we only had to wait 10 minutes, and to seat you the literally have to pull out the table so you can sit on the bench by the wall and then push the table in before the people on the other side sit down in chairs. It's that small. But it's really, really good food at a moderate price, and for the size of the burgers I'd say it was very reasonable.

• Visited June 2012
Covington, Louisiana
“Great little burger place in Hell's Kitchen”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Huge selection of both burgers and chicken sandwiches. The chicken sandwich I had was awesome. Very small place so you will most likely have to wait. We waited and the food was worth the wait.

Visited June 2012