“Jean Claude and Jean Claude II”
Review of Jean Claude - CLOSED

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: SoHo
Reviewed November 2, 2012

What you should expect from a neighborhood bistro. Good food, friendly service and a small moderately priced wine list. We eat at both sites on a regular basis.

1  Thank Peter S
There are newer reviews for Jean Claude

Reviewed August 29, 2012

The food here is adequate rather than brilliant; fairly priced but no bargain. Two reasons why I am astonished that it has received a Bibendum rating from Michelin. This would never happen in France. We found it to be useful for a quick meal when, at peak time on Saturday, we were in the Soho vicinity and were quickly seated. My wife's steak, ordered medium rare, came well done, but was taken back without a murmur, and the replacement, as well as the frites that came with it, were delicious. My cornish hen tasted like any chicken I have ever had, but was well enough cooked. We shared a creme brulee as we were in a hurry, and it was like any of the many dozens we have had previously. Comfort is not on the agenda, with cafe style tables and a men's toilet with no W.C. Service is cheerful, but when you drop in off the street, it is a shock to the digestion to learn that credit cards are not taken. Instead, you have to trundle to a nearby cash machine that charges an outsize commision and may even be owned by the restaurant. The slogan here is not "Bring your own Bottle" but "Bring your own Cash".

Reviewed March 12, 2012

This review is for the new location on 2nd Ave, just north of 70th Street. Same owners.

We arrived about 6:30, we had reservations and were seated quickly. For appetizers, we shared the Escargot and a mixed green salad. Both items were very good. Fresh greens and the sauce with the Escargot was amazing. I think the dressing was a house dressing and it was well flavored.

My friend had the duck cooked medium rare and I had the salmon. The salmon
was delicious but I will have to say I liked my friends Duck much more, it was amazing. The portions seemed just right and the staff was attentive and friendly. The prices for this neighborhood were good, and probably about 5$ less than neighboring establishments. This is not a huge restaurant, seats about 50 or so, and fills up very fast so reservations are a must if you plan on dining at a popular time or day. It can be a little bit noisy but it was not too bad. I will be returning!

1  Thank WineMeister
Reviewed December 17, 2011

Great place with consistently good food and friendly service. Must visit this quaint feench bistro on one of the nicest streets of Soho.

Reviewed March 18, 2011

Been here a few times. In fact I am paying the bill as I write this review. The food is very good here. Both my duck breast and the lamb for my partner are excellent, comparable to many top class restaurants in NYC. The atmosphere is neighbourhoody, not fancy, price very reasonable!