“I wouldn't go back”
Review of Joe Allen

Joe Allen
Reserve with OpenTable
Joe Allen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #177 of 14,396 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: Opened in May 1965 by Joe Allen himself, Joe Allen Restaurant in New York City has always aimed to serve good food at reasonable prices. With a casual, yet professional ambience, Joe Allen Restaurant is ideally located for several Broadway theatres, making it a great choice for a meal before or after the show. Joe Allen Restaurant in New York is open for lunch and dinner seven days a week, and also serves brunch on Sunday. The regional American menu changes daily and offers a wide range of choices. Accompanying your meal, the wine list features carefully chosen selections from around the world. The bar also stocks an impressive array of imported and draught beers.
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

The restaurant is lined with posters of old shows. Shows that I really hadn't heard of and I'm 30. The food seemed really expensive for what it was. I went with my godmother who lives in Soho and this is her place to go after a show. I was really disappointed. We had a salad with chicken ( called chicken salad - what a misnomer) which had components that didn't go together to make a cohesive bite. The other thing we had was a buffalo chicken sandwich and guacamole. The sandwich was blah and the chips with the guacamole were stale. Not even tasty but pricey food.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We've been to Joe Allen a number of times when we visit NYC and see a show. Very convenient location, reasonable prices, very good food.

Make a reservation for 6:30 if you plan to see a show. It was crowded. The staff was attentive, friendly and helpful. We we're not rushed but in and out quickly. Everyone at our table really enjoyed their meals. Noise level was not a problem. We we're seated in the bar area. I think that might be the better area as the main dining room has tables very close together.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Located in the Hell's Kitchen area of NYC, had lunch/brunch with friends. The maritini was perfect! Eggs done to perfection, small sirloin cooked as I ordered! The side of potatoes was nicedly seasoned, homemade jelly with english muffins. Pictures on the walls of all the Broadway flops with names of great starts who starred in the those not so great plays! Fun place

Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Joe Allen on NYC's "Restaurant Row" (46th St between 8th & 9th aves) in Broadway's Theater Land, is a reliable institution for very good, simple, classics. I had a good grilled chicken flatbread sandwich which was moist and the chicken grilled just right. We shared an excellent banana cream pie made with loads of fresh whipped cream. No silly deconstructed desserts here. If classic is what you want, this is a fine choice before or after a show.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

This was my 2nd time at Joe Allens's, a place to return to often! Excellent value in NYC with good food. The draw is the Broadway connection. I assume diners know many, if not all, of the waiters are Broadway aspirees? The vibes are energetic - both waiters and clientele.
The posters are of Broadway flops! We need more places like this.
Down a few stairs into a welcoming hubbub ~ you'll be going back, too. Oh, did I say tell your waiter you have to be out for whatever show, and watch food appear faster than you thought possible. A very reliable place.