“A bit pricey unless you have a good appetite”
Review of L'Ecole

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: SoHo
Cross street: Grand St
Transit: J, M, N, Q, R, W, 6, 1, 9, A, C, E trains to Canal. we are located on Broadway 2 blocks north of Canal St.
Webster, Massachusetts
“A bit pricey unless you have a good appetite”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I made a reservation based on the suggestion of a friend. We dined on a Monday at lunchtime. The menu was Prix Fix - three or four courses. My teenaged daughter has a very light appetite so I explained that she would not be able to finish three courses. We were assured she could order alacarte - turned out the price was still the same

That said, I was very happy with my meal. I added the wine pairings and I got to try some wines I had not had before.

I was a bit irritated that I had to ask for the wine at two of the three courses. The service could be a bit more professional but it didn't really take away from the overall experience.

I had eaten at the culinary institute in Napa and this was not nearly as nice as that.

We ended up spending close to $100.00 for our lunch with wine for one. A bit more than I would typically spend but overall a fun time.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank DianeMtravels

• Polish first
Florida
“French School Of Cooking serves delicious plates!”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I was very happy with my lunch, although I had expected students to serve at this restaurant. The food is beautifully prepared and delicious. The restaurant is noisy and pricey but worth the experience. I definitely want to go back but will try the Executive Menu next time.

• Visited August 2013
Hong Kong, China
“Lovely meal”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Newlyweds resting for a few days in NYC, we were just walking around when we passed L'Ecole. My husband and I had both separately eaten there in the past and had great experiences, so we were delighted when they were able to accommodate us walking in for an early dinner... and at a window table.

We both had the fixed menu, I, with wine pairings.

Starting with the warm bread and fresh butter, we expected a good meal.

I don't remember the amuse bouche, only that it was nice.

My stuffed calamari appetizer was good - his gnocchi parisienne, which I also tried, was amazing!

I was interested in the pea & cheese empanadas - the waiter dissuaded me. When I asked if it was good, he said something like, we had to have a vegetarian option in there. I went with the braised cod. It was great.

I got the Cappuccino semifreddo; he got the chocolate tart -- with yummy coconut sorbet. Both were good. They also gave us cookies the students made, which were underwhelming.

The wine pairings were nice, though I wish they could have been a bit more generous with the amounts - more like a tasting than half cup each.

One other small suggestion: they could have cleaned the bread crumbs off the table before serving dessert.

All in all, a wonderful meal that left us full but not feeling bloated. Lovely tastes, great service. We expected a special and quality dinner at a discounted price, and they definitely delivered!

• Visited July 2013
Ithaca, New York
“Great food and friendly service”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

It's a great food experience. Food is professionally prepared and served. Prices are good considering what they offer. Executive menus are a great option at lunch time. French breads and entrees are a must,

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank GustavoTourist
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My hubby and I were in NYC for Restaurant week and so we decided to give L'Ecole a whirl. I thought it would be interesting to eat eat at a place where students are learning to cook.
We enjoyed our food, I had Creamed Corn Chowder which was just beautiful, hubby had pate, which he said was good but he prefers smooth pate, this was coarse. Next hubby had burger, v.good and I had chicken roulade, I think it was on creamed spinach, v. good again. for dessert we both ate strawberry shortcake, it was a much bigger dessert than we expected, v. good again, a surprise of strawberry sorbet inside. I had a fruit juice cocktail of mango and orange with rosemary, it was unusual and I enjoyed it, it was served beautifully too. A lovely lunch for a great price, glad to have been around for restaurant week.

• Visited July 2013