“Only good things to say about Malatesta!”

Malatesta Trattoria
Ranked #1,454 of 14,216 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: West Village
Reviewed December 14, 2011

Best grilled calamari we've ever tasted served over arugula. Melt-in-your-mouth spinach gnocchi served over cream sauce, perfectly prepared lamb chops and desserts all to die for. Attentive servers.

Reviewed November 26, 2011

I suggested this restaurant for a work friend's birthday celebration. I heard about this place from the oddest source and that is while I was watching "Poker After Dark." One of the poker players just happened to mention this place and so I placed a sticky note in the page in Zagat's that had the write-up on Malatesta Trattoria. We were a total of 7 ladies. We shared appetizers: calamari, mussels, and the mixed crostini. All were very good. The tomato-based sauce from the mussels appetizer was perfect for dipping the bread they give you at the beginning of the meal. I ordered the ravioli and it did not disappoint. However, I preferred two other dishes from our table: the chicken cutlet and the lamb chops.
If you're a big group, I recommend ordering one of each dessert [the dessert menu list is not long]. If you must choose two, then go for the panna cotta and the chocolate mousse. Buon appetito!

Reviewed November 23, 2011

At least 8 men ran around in this place when we had a quick dinner here on a Monday evening - one looking like a mellower and more today version of Hadrian - and most speaking Italian (we thought) better than English.

The food is straightforward, pure and good. We ordered both from the daily choices as well as from the regular menu. Tastes are good, portions just fine. The tiramisu is huge though, take care!!

Very much recommended.

1  Thank MomandKiki
Reviewed October 26, 2011

I love this place!! Is now an institution, I love the atmosphere,the guys that work here are supercool, the food is excellent....go for artichoke salad and the lamb chop are the best u could have.
I always start with a Piadina with prosciutto anc cheese....wine list is good and the wines are not expensive.
this is a place that will be in that corner forever because local and turists know the quality.
is better to resreve..
the only downsize is that is a cash only..
enjoy!

2  Thank Gmarathon
Reviewed October 11, 2011

This is a regular favorite of mine and definitely a 'must try' for anyone looking for a local Italian spot away from the New York's chains.

Malatesta has a reasonably small menu which focuses on pasta dishes, however there are always specials to pick from if you're looking to be a little more adventurous. I am rarely disappointed as the pasta is freshly made and the ingredients of high quality - I would compare the style to great home cooking.

The decor of the restuarant itself is reasonably basic, but has a rustic feel which creates a relaxed and informal atmosphere. There is likely to be a wait to get a table if you go in the evenings, but never too long, and definitely worth the wait!

One tip - remember to take cash. Cards are not accepted and it's a bit of a walk to the nearest ATM!

1  Thank Rachel W