“Wouldn't go back”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed January 13, 2013

The wait staff was very nice and quick. The restaurant smelled like urine very strong. The food was good but the overwhelming smell of urine made it almost impossible to eat. Would not give this place a second chance. Very expensive for average food.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

We bought a groupon for $29 and it was good for unto $73 worth of food here. That's really the only reason we ate here but we loved it! We would have been satisfied with it even if we did pay full price. The service was amazing very friendly staff. They had the cute little dinner decorated for Christmas! Crab cake appetizer was amazing!!

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I rarely give 5 stars in reviews, but I'm doing it in this case because my husband and I totally enjoyed our dinner at Market Cafe Saturday after a performance at the nearby Baryshnikov Arts Center. This was also a few days after Hurricane Sandy and all the devastation to NYC and NJ, and we were not even sure there would be restaurants open in this area (many were still closed below 40th St., and Market Cafe is between 37th and 38th). Luckily, it was open, though only a few people were there when we arrived about 9:30 pm.
The design is sort of old-fashioned diner but with gleaming white tiles giving it a modern feeling. It was dimly lit by candles and there was jazz on the sound system when we arrived, which made it feel romantic. Soon the music changed to Motown and early 60s music, and since that is the soundtrack of our youth we loved it. The restaurant has a "neighborhood place" vibe, not at all pretentious but nice.
Service was friendly and helpful. I asked if they had sangria and the waiter volunteered to bring me a taste to see if I would like it, since I had told him I like it sweet. It was not overly sweet but it was good.
Since we had been eating too much for a couple of days in NY, I decided to just have an appetizer for dinner and ordered the Salmon Tartare (served with shaved celery and mache salad, cranberry ginger compote, and crostini). It was very refreshing and tasty, though not really enough for a meal. (Also, the crostini was more burnt than I like so I didn't eat that.) I had some of my husband's entree, Orechiette with chicken andouille sausage, cherry tomato, broccoli rabe, and herbed garlic oil. We both thought it was delicious.
Prices are typical for a bistro-type place in NYC--not cheap, but not ridiculously high. For example, the Salmon Tartare was $10 and the Orechiette was $17.50. The menu has lots of interesting items, and we will definitely come back on future trips to NYC.

1  Thank freedshop
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The gluten free options were delicious! I enjoyed the burger and pasta. Variety on the gluten free menu was great as well. The waitor was knowledgable on the menu and was friendly and welcoming. I returned with my family twice for dinner during my stay in New York. It is a great place for a pre-theatre meal.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

I have been here many times over the years with my husband and friends too. Always good food and service. Dunno what was wrong this time. They were doing a huge take out order so we waited a very long time for the starter. The mains were quicker. When we had finished the plates were snatched away. I have thought about what we could have done to upset the staff. It was not busy, others were treated very differently. We are in our 50's and very ordinary looking. Maybe we just didn't look the part. I just felt we were ignored whilst others were looked after in a very different way. A great shame. My sister and her husband have never been to NYC before and now that I am widowed I wanted to show them places where my late husband and I had had happy times. Really disappointed

1  Thank Jane C