“Delicious soup, cozy atmosphere”
Review of Mexicana Mama - CLOSED

Mexicana Mama
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Delivery
Neighborhood: West Village
Description: Authentic Mexican cooking for gourmets, in a miniscule West Village spot.
Albany, California
“Delicious soup, cozy atmosphere”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I was in the mood for something light, so I had a spicy broth with fresh avocado and corn in it, and some grilled corn on the cob. The beer selection was good and sitting along the wall with the heater on under my seat, was super cozy and fun.

• Visited March 2013

Staten Island, New York, United States
“Tasty Mexican food in NYC”
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Bit pricey and not the kind of place to get your bang for your buck but the atmosphere is nice and the food is yummy. They prepare each dish nicely. Staff is friendly, very on top of things, knows the menu well. The restaurant is very small so don't expect much privacy. I will return someday.

New York City, New York
“I could eat here every night. Healthy & creative.”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I have eaten at this restaurant - or gotten take out or delivery - at least once a week for the past 7-8 years. Yes, it's true. This place has my absolute favorite Mexican. It's not your average fried menu and you don't get heaps of rice and beans. This is Mexican taken to the next level. It's healthy and it's creative. And beyond delicious. I would say their habanero sauce is their signature dish (sauce). My stand-by dish is the chicken burrito with habanero sauce. You can substitute a salad (with their superb salad dressing) in place of the rice. Doesn't come with refried beans!! Really one of my favorite places in NYC. Yes, it's a very, very small spot - so there's often a line. Luckily I live nearby. Super, super casual and funky. Blue walls, plastic chihuahua tea light holders, fake plastic grapes. In the wonderful West Village.

• Visited August 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Another great birthday restaurant!”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

OK, warning - it is very small so be warned - you may have to wait. BUT IT"S TOTALLY WORTH IT! Was recommended this restaurant by the concierge at the SoHo Trump Hotel. She warned that 3 margaritas would put us on our fannies. We stopped at 2 because we could tell she did not exaggerate! We had THE BEST salsa I have ever had here - it was emulsified with poblano peppers and had a creamy texture. This is authentic mexican with awesome flavours. Only downside - no tamales. but seeing the size of the kitchen, I can totally understand - they don't have the room for it.

Visited January 2012
New York City, New York
“Best Mexican Food!”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Food always fresh and great. Great warm habanero salsa! (you have to pay for the chips and salsa) but it is soooo good!! Awesome guacamole... fish tacos always a hit... same for the pork tacos! Love this place (both locations). Highly recommend! Bring your friends (small location no reservations not great for big parties- wanted to go for my birthday but they wouldn't take a reservation for 14 people :( ) We've been there many many times... too many to count!

• Visited March 2012