“decent”

Ranked #7,169 of 14,285 Restaurants in New York City
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: East Village
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Decent low-priced Indian food. Not byob, like the other Indian restaurants on the block. A little more upscale.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

The East Village has gone from dangerous to trendy over the years and there are now many excellent restaurants in the neighborhood. Although this block of beautiful old brownstones on E. 6th St. is no longer solidly Indian, there are still a number of Indian restaurants vying for your business and Mitali East is one of the best. I love their Chicken Vindaloo but I have never had anything I didn't like there in many, many visits over the years. This time was no exception. The food is very good and the prices reasonable. If you like good white wines, they have a very reasonably priced wine list, including Pouilly Fuisse. I used to resist buying it, even at such a good price, operating under the assumption that such a good French wine didn't go well with Indian food. That turns out not to be the case at all as far as I can see. If you go to Mitali East, consider "splurging" (in quotes because it's not expensive) on a good bottle of wine to go with your meal. My guess is you won't regret it. Either way, you will enjoy the food. Just be aware that if you ask for something to be "hot," that is exactly what you will get!

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Ok, so we love ethnic food. We love all food and we're always looking for that something special and yummy. The flavors are layered and complex. I went here on a date many years ago and was thrilled to rediscover it again. It's small and dark and a place to get close. It's a little rundown for sure but it is so delicious that its worth the trip. We're coming back. P.S. skip the soup!

Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

A childhood favorite of my significant other, the food and service were incredible. Also a great deal - healthy wine pours and all the like, the only thing anyone and everyone should be aware of is the need for some deep carpet steamings. The barely lit rooms do little to hide the lack of cleanliness - not trashy and moldy, but dusty and musty. Go for some good food, not the atmosphere.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I was in Manhattan with my young adult foodie son and suggested Indian food, which I know he likes. We went to E. 6th Street, which I remembered had many options for Indian food. As we were checking a menu outside one restaurant, a female passerby told us that she was from the neighborhood and that Mitali East was the best on the block. That was good enough for my son. We were seated right away in the early evening on a Saturday. He got a combination platter, lamb, chicken, basmati rice, naan, mango chutney, I got a tomato cabbage soup, lamb-spinach curry, basmati rice, and naan, the portions were large, the flavors were good, my son was pleased, the neighborhood resident was on the mark. My son, recently returned from London, pronounced it the best Indian food he ever had. The interior is dark, the service is adequate, the price was reasonable, it was a good choice.