“Recommendation of neighborhood resident vindicated”
Review of Mitali East

Mitali East
Ranked #7,119 of 13,826 Restaurants in New York City
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: East Village
Lawrenceville, New Jersey
“Recommendation of neighborhood resident vindicated”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I was in Manhattan with my young adult foodie son and suggested Indian food, which I know he likes. We went to E. 6th Street, which I remembered had many options for Indian food. As we were checking a menu outside one restaurant, a female passerby told us that she was from the neighborhood and that Mitali East was the best on the block. That was good enough for my son. We were seated right away in the early evening on a Saturday. He got a combination platter, lamb, chicken, basmati rice, naan, mango chutney, I got a tomato cabbage soup, lamb-spinach curry, basmati rice, and naan, the portions were large, the flavors were good, my son was pleased, the neighborhood resident was on the mark. My son, recently returned from London, pronounced it the best Indian food he ever had. The interior is dark, the service is adequate, the price was reasonable, it was a good choice.

• Visited January 2013

Denver, Colorado
“Food was awesome, but service needs to improve a LOT!”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I just went there, since the reviews are so good. I have to say that the food was really awesome (Saag Paneer, Rice, Dal soup). I loved that I could choose the spicy level (#9 for me). As mentioned, food is real Indian and awesome, but...

Dude, those servers in there really have to work on their attitude. They were rude, in a total rush (there were only 5 tables to be served), served like a little kid, didn't really help with ordering. Somehow, I could go on with counting all the "do-nots" of serving clients.

Since serving is an art and is part of dining out, it is simply too bad that the Mitali staff fails miserably.

• Visited January 2013
“The Indian Experience !!!”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We're in New York and got hit by a special friend suggestion..."Go to MITALI if you want to try the real Indian Kitchen" ! SO WE DID and SO IT WAS ! We travel with our 2 year old daughter and honestly the place is not really child friendly (stairs to reach the hall and very small space between tables). Said so, the restaurant is furnished traditionally and this puts you in the right mood to expect a gorgeous dinner. If you're experiencing Indian food for the first time we storngly suggest you to start from the ABC, so we ordered a delicious Chicken Tandoori (chicken roasted in a special clay oven with vegetables) and a Chicken Byriani for my wife (it's a rice platter with spices and chicken, you can choose it vegetable or with lamb or beef)! Make sure to order the Naan bread and this is the very base... then start to navigate and explore the flavors of this ancient and mystic cuisine!

• Visited November 2012
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My favorite Indian food in the East Village”
Reviewed June 13, 2012

In need of a flavorful ethnic meal, my husband took our son and me to 6th Street where the row of Indian restaurants continues to beckon. By far, my favorite is always Mitali East. Not only are the food ingredients fresh, but the portions are good-sized, the seasonings are VERY tasty, the service is attentive, and the prices are extremely reasonable.
Our Chicken Tikka Musalam arrived on a sizzling platter and was served to us by the staff, the Shrimp Tandoori featured about eight huge and tender grilled shrimp with some vegetables, and the Lamb Madras was perfect on top of the large portion of Kashmiri Pillau (rice dish).
We also sampled the hot puffy Poori breads, the large crispy Vegetable Samosas, and the wonderful Aloo Paratha (in the bread section of the menu). There was not one disappointing item!!!
And when we chose not to order dessert of coffee at the end of the meal, they surprised us with small dishes of mango ice cream!!! It was a lovely way to end a perfect meal.

I know that the economy has affected the restaurant trade, but I think that it is extremely important to celebrate the chefs and smaller restaurants that take great pride in serving delicious food. The decor at Mitali East is exotic, but not elegant, and is one of the least important criteria in recommending this restaurant to those who enjoy delicious Indian food.

• Visited June 2012
Hudson River Valley, New York
“Nice late dinner!”
Reviewed February 10, 2012

Wanting to try a new Indian place, my girlfriend and I drove down to "curry row" to see what we could see. The first place that caught our eye was, of course, the insanely gaudy lights in the window of Panna II... And, based on the Yelp reviews, in hindsight I'm glad we kept walking. We went all the way down the block until we came to Brick Lane Curry House, which we had heard of on Food Network. That's also part of the reason we didn't go there, the main reason being that it's a chain of four or five places, and the decor seemed too corporate, like a slightly Indian version of a California Pizza Kitchen. We didn't drive all the way down to the East Village to eat at Chili's.

So we headed back the way we came, and happened upon Mitali East. So glad we did! It was a Wednesday night at 10:00 and this place was moderately busy. Good sign! Low ceilings and lots of brass Indian bric-a-brac. Another good sign! The waiters were friendly and seated us right away. Service was pretty fast, too. The chicken vindaloo was the best (and spiciest) I've ever had. I've never had Indian that really set my mouth on fire until now. Not the five-alarm heat you'll supposedly get at Brick Lane, but a really nicely flavored, make-your-nose-run kind of burn. My girl's chana shaag was excellent as well. The naan was fresh and marvelously airy, puffy, soft and crispy all at once. After dinner they brought complimentary mango ice cream. Nice touch! Glass of wine, a coke, two entrees, and naan came to about $35. Not bad! We enjoyed it very much and will definitely be back.

• Visited February 2012