“Interesting diner - average food”
Review of Tom's Restaurant

Tom's Restaurant
Ranked #1,040 of 14,032 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Diner, Delicatessen
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Tom’s Restaurant is located at the southern end of the Columbia University campus on Broadway and 112th street. From the outside it looks like the restaurant in the TV show Seinfeld but looks nothing like it in the inside (there is a lot of Seinfeld memorabilia and photos on the wall though). Both of the electronic signs on the outside of the building were partially burned out which made it look less like the iconic restaurant (see my attached photo.) The restaurant is also where singer Suzanne Vega wrote the hit song Tom’s Diner in the early 1980’s. I arrived at the restaurant at about 8:30 AM on a Tuesday morning and it was only about half full.

The coffee was great but my ham and cheese omelet looked unusual and tasted plain -some of the eggs in the omelet were white (not yellow). The American fried potatoes looked great but appeared to have been cooked near grilled onions (as they tasted like onions). Since I hate onions I did not like the potatoes. The coffee is served in a very small cup and saucer and when you need a refill they bring you a new cup and saucer instead of just filling up the empty cup on the table.

My server was friendly and attentive and I had no issues with her. The restaurant has a counter and there appeared to be several locals eating there as they were actively engaged in conversation with certain employees and seemed to know them.

If you are near Columbia University and are a Seinfeld fan I recommend you dine at Tom’s. If you are not a fan you may want to pass as the food is only average. The restaurant does not take credit cards so bring enough cash. There is an ATM card inside the restaurant in case you run out if money.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We went to eat in Tom's Restaurant because of Seinfeld and found nice place to eat which is not so expensive in compare to other places in NYC.

The place itself doesn't look like the place in the show anymore so don't expect anything special.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Hands down the best milkshake I've had in NYC. Pistachio and vanilla are my favorites! Be aware that the portions are HUGE. Also, Seinfeld!

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Went here because we are Seinfeld fans and that was fun. Took our photos and went inside for breakfast. We were seated on the left as you walk in, and were snapped at when we asked to sit on the other side (I wanted to see out) apparently they though we wanted the coveted middle booth in the window - if they had unbunched their panties for a minute they would have seen that my boyfriend was pointing to another booth. Oh well, we had a seat.

Breakfast was ok, nothing amazing. The toast arrived ahead of the main dish, so you either eat that first or wait until it's cold when the rest of your food arrives. Juice glasses were the smallest I have ever seen - maybe they were for children? Coffee cups were also very small but that was fine because the coffee is not very good. We did ask for a refill part way through our meal where upon our waiter snarkily said "the second cup is on us" ummmm it's a DINER, free refills are usually a given. Our omelets were ok. Bathrooms are very dated but clean, there are several signs screaming at diners that the restrooms are for customers only. One on the front door would be enough. Staff has a tendency to congregate near the cash register, so if you sit near there it's kind of weird with them hanging around your booth. Glad we went because of Seinfeld, but would not go out of my way to eat there again - it's just not very welcoming.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Our Seinfeld fanatic took us to Tom's for dinner. We arrived around 5:30 and the place was 3/4 empty. The manager said we could pick any table in one row. The place was clean and our server very friendly. She invited us to look around.

We tried a few dishes. The burgers were good with pickle and a large quantity of fries. The beef stew had fresh veggies, tender meat and good flavor. The Manahattan clam chowder seemed to be made in house. Salad was fine.

Our server checked back a few times -- kudos to her. It was a great experience for our fan friend.

TIP: Bring cash, they do NOT take credit cards. Check out the old register.