“restaurant with character”

Trattoria Trecolori
Ranked #116 of 13,754 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Canberra, Australia
“restaurant with character”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We ate at the Trattoria Trecolori prior to going to see a show. We had a reservation and were seated promptly on arrival. The restaurant is quite large and it was crowded but service was friendly and quick. We had the Frutto di Mare for an appetizer and it was delicious, and large enough for both of us. For mains we had the Rigatoni alla Trecolori and the Gnocchi alla Baba, both were very good. Despite being very busy our waiter had time to talk us through the menu and to tell a bit about NYC.

• Visited June 2013

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
streator, Illinois
“Great atmosphere, service, and food”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I visited this restaurant after it being recommended by a friend. We were a group of six women visiting New York City from the Midwest. This was the best meal of our trip.

I ordered a salad and the chicken Parmesan. Several others ordered salads a different chicken dishes. A couple of the women ordered pasta dishes. Everyone was very satisfied. A couple of the women ordered half portions, so that is an option. Others did some splitting.

If in the area, I would highly recommend this restaurant!

Visited June 2013
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Mixed Bag in the Theater District”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I had made a reservation for 4 at Trattoria Trecolori for a nice dinner before a show on Saturday, June 8. Below I've listed the good and the bad at this restaurant.

Good:

- I thought it was a good value, especially for being right in Times Square. I had the Rigatoni alla Trecolori, which was delicious, served in a rich and tasty pesto sauce. My girlfriend ordered a Veal Parmagiana with a side of alfredo - tasty and rich - she loved it.

- We ordered the Caprese and Trecolori for appetizers. Delicious and enough for 4 people.

-The restaurant had a nice wine selection. Our bartender was very attentive and made sure we had everything we needed.

The Not So Good -

- We had a 6:15 reservation and arrived at 6. We checked in at the hostess station (which was past the bar - a confusing setup). I saw our name on the hand-written list (a warning signal) and the host circled our name and asked us to get a drink at the bar. Ten minutes later I checked and we were told the table was coming up. At 6:20 another party of 4 showed up and talked about their 6:30 reservation. I check with the host again, then watched as he sat the 6:30 group in front of us! To be honest, I let the Host have it and he apologized profusely (to the point of being annoying). He said the guy was "in his face". Wow. We were finally able to find 4 seats together at the bar. Good thing as we likely would not have been on time for our play. The Host did comp us a drink and dessert (tiramisu - light and delicious - so put that in the plus column too). But the the thing that floored me the most was after dinner I looked at the website a little closer - and discovered that our "Host" was actually one of the owners! If I ever found out one of my employees treated a customer that way - I would be irate. To find out it was an owner pulling that baloney - well - let's just say there are lots of places to eat around Times Square - so we won't be back here.

Overall - good food for the price. The atmosphere I can't comment on because we ended up at the bar and not in the dining area, although it was busy and hectic - as expected pre-show in Times Square. The management - well - they are in Times Square and because they offer value will likely prosper in spite of itself.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Jeff W
San Jose, California
“Not just another NY Italian restaurant”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

If you come to NY very often you get to visit a lot of these place given they dominate the area. A friend suggested this one and this was the third night in a row we'd had gone 'Italian'. We were pleased to experience a bit of a step-up in food quality and service at this place. Our chicken and fish entrees were very well prepared and reasonably priced. The house Chianti was exceptional. Like most of these places, the noise level gets a litte over the top.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Stephen U
Stamford, Connecticut
“Excellent, Affordable Italian Restaurant!!”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This is a great "go to" Italian meal in the Theatre District!! Easy, fun, great food, attentive staff!! The staff went above and beyond during this visit. I was waiting for a friend from Buenos Aires to meet us, and she was late 45 minutes as I gave her the wrong address! But the staff let us sit and drink as we waited.....and there were others who wanted our table ( I did have reservations)....but I felt so badly! Then they helped us still get to our Show on time....very professional! I had the special risotto...YUM! MY mom had the veal piccata...very nicely done. As my foreign friend is not used to eating so early, she had soup and salad. With a drink before, and 3 desserts (chocolate mousse and flan), and our meals, it was only $125 for 3 people!! That is very affordable, for New York City, and good food, with a wonderful experience! I would definitely recommend Trattoria Trecolori!

• Visited May 2013