“One of the worst”

Umberto's Clam House
Ranked #5,529 of 13,630 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Little Italy
Description: Come visit Umbertos Clam House, the legend of Mulberry Street in the heart of Little Italy! This historic restaurant has been serving happy locals, tourists and celebrities alike for over 40 years. We specialize in seafood and are the only ones in Little Italy to do so. Many of our dishes have become famous since our opening in 1972. Our menu features our legendary Hot Red Clam Sauce which is simmered to perfection for hours just as it was the first day we opened. Be sure to enjoy our Baked Clams (best in the world), Linguine with White Clam Sauce, Veal Saltimbocca Alla Romana, Chicken Scarpariello and Calimari. We have also added many new exciting dishes such as Short Rib Ragu over Penne, Spiedini a la Romano and more. Umbertos is a special treat for all who come. Our signature open kitchen and custom built wood bar are signature attractions. Our unpretentious flair and professional service combined with the freshest, most authentic product possible, all at reasonable prices, keep our customers satisfied and coming back for more. Umbertos is proud to offer our new late night dining experience and serves an array of comfort foods such as eggs benedict, omelettes made to order, cheeseburgers and fries, BLTs, chicken cutlet sandwiches and more.
London, United Kingdom
“One of the worst”
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Greeted kindly by the man on the street. Free glass with your dinner. Accepted him on his offer. From there it was pretty poor. The waiter were surly and not once did they ask how things are? There is egotistical and then there is customer friendly. I feel that this place relies on passing trade more than repeat custom.
The bread was clearly shop bought. The pasta, though cooked al dente was not fresh. I feel that it was made yesterday.
The marinara sauce, salty and burnt.
My girlfriends dinner was worse. Pizza dough was ropey. Cripsy crust but uncooked in the middle. The top was just mozzarella and frozen squid on top.
To add injury to insult they added the tip on top of the bill. They must realise that they have poor food and so slap the full service charge on top. Avoid at all costs.

1 Thank rossf2012
Wayne M, Wayne, General Manager at Umberto's Clam House, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
I know it's been some time since you left your review, but I was sorry to see that you and your girlfriend didn't enjoy your dinner with us. Everything on our menu is made fresh from scratch—never store-bought or frozen. And while our kitchen works hard to guarantee that every dish is thoroughly cooked, I'll make sure to share your feedback with them. Burnt marinara and uncooked dough definitely don't sound appealing, so trust we'll do what we can to ensure this isn't an recurrence.

On another note, I apologize if it felt as though your server was not more welcoming. This attitude doesn't sound characteristic of us, so I'll check in with them about this as well. Do you recall his name by any chance? Any information you can lend is much appreciated.

Thanks for sharing this with me last November and stay in touch! I'd love to better understand how we could have impressed you across the board.

Best regards,

marlton, NJ
“The Best of Little Italy, with a free glass of wine”
Reviewed October 31, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I was hosting a friend from China who really wanted authentic NYC Italian food. I had been to all the staples of Little Italy, but never Umberto's. Hands Down they were the best I've eve had. Great pasta and sauce, Great eggplant parrm, and great zuchinni sticks. Top it off with them enticing us in with a free glass of wine which was some of the best red house wine I've ever had. Definitely headed back.

Visited October 2013
Wayne M, Owner at Umberto's Clam House, responded to this review, October 13, 2014
We know we have some great competition here, Joe, so it's fantastic to hear that we were the best Italian you've had in Little Italy. I'm so glad that you and your friend enjoyed all of our dishes, and really appreciate you helping us spread the word here. Thanks for sharing, and we hope to see you back again soon!

All the best,
Wayne, General Manager
“One star bc nothing less is offered.”
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying, I didn't do my homework. I wish I read more reviews by leaving here starving. The man outside offered a free glass of wine or sangria and seemed nice. Big mistake. Our waiter was awful. But I'm willing to sacrifice for good food. Boy, big mistake! The bread is not great. The dipping oil is very good! The lasagna was awful. Disgusting at best. Tasted cold in the center and reminded me of chef boy r dee in a can! It's that bad and I'm Italian! The dough was stuck together and just plain gross! I would never return and that was a waste of money. I left hungry !

2 Thank Kcao
Shaver Lake, California
“A Little Italy Favorite”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I have visited this restaurant for amny years. It has been at several locations throughout Little Italy over the years. I enjoy all of the entree choices .But, the baked clams are excellent. I look forward to my next visit at this excelelnt restaurant.. The service was excellent, as always.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Anthony C
Birmingham, Alabama
“Best little Clam House in Little Italy”
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

My paisano friend enticed us in with the offer of a free glass of wine. But I was headed there anyway. The bread is great with the olive oil & garlic dipping. Baked clams were fantastic. The Zuppa di Mussels were great, could have used a bit more garlic in the white sauce. But that's just me... A garlic fiend.

Wayne M, Owner at Umberto's Clam House, responded to this review, October 15, 2014
We know it's been some time since you posted, Karen, but I'm so glad to hear that you had such a wonderful time with us. We always want our guests to enjoy their overall experience, and it sounds like we knocked it out of the park. Thanks for sharing, and I hope you'll come back and see us the next time you're visiting!

All the best,