“It was ok”

Ranked #5,355 of 14,214 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Little Italy
Description: Come visit Umbertos Clam House, the legend of Mulberry Street in the heart of Little Italy! This historic restaurant has been serving happy locals, tourists and celebrities alike for over 40 years. We specialize in seafood and are the only ones in Little Italy to do so.
Reviewed April 9, 2013

It was ok. The linguine with clams was ok, but I really wanted pizza in which they were completely out of - What??? Out of pizza by mid day?

Reviewed March 30, 2013

I decided to take my youngest daughter to what once was my favorite restaurant in Little Italy. As we approached the restaurant a greeter was working on us to come into the restaurant. That should have been my first warning. Top notch restaurants don't need that type of activity. As we were seated, a sweaty overweight older gentleman approached us and asked 'Do you have a coupon?" Second warning. I ordered Fried Calamari with Linguini and my daughter chose the Fettuccine Alfredo. The busboy slipped us Italian bread at the corner of the table which tasted like it was from Stop and Shop and sitting out all day. It took about way too long for our food to be served. I tried to empathize with the waiter since he was the only server with about eight tables to wait. Why try and draw customers in if you don't have adequate staff? You know something went wrong when people that arrived after you are about to finish their main course before your food has arrived. The portions were skimpy and the fried calamari were chewy and had a rancid oil taste. Overall , the experience was a huge disappointment and will not be returning.

1  Thank Smazzeo
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We purchased a Groupon for four and it was well worth the price we paid. It is a very busy restaurant in Little Italy. Not only are they dealing with the Groupon crowd, they are also a tourist attraction. The food was very good and the portions were generous. I can understand people complaining about the service because they are understaffed, but the two waiters do their best to serve their customers.They are attentive and are helpful with menu suggestions. I have no complaints. We appreciate going to a restaurant where you are not rushed and you can enjoy the time between courses with the people you are with. If you are on a time schedule go to a fast food place, if you want to enjoy a dinner and not be rushed , try Umberto's.

Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Decided to buy a groupon for dinner for two at umbertos. Included two entrees,two appetizers, two glasses of wine, and two deserts. Before going I did review past reviews on this site and was a little concerned about the fair to poor service I kept reading about. Nevertheless I decided to give it a shot. My wife and I went for an early dinner. We arrived at the restaurant at 4 ish. There were only two other couples eating and I figured how bad can the service be. Well if you don't mind waiting 20-25 minutes between courses and you have a whole day to kill it wasn't that bad. Our waiter who was also the bartender only came to our table to check up on us when I waved him over. Probably the worst service I've ever had and unfortunately based on what past reviews stated it exactly what I had expected. Shame on me for not going with my gut. The food was ok nothing to brag about. Bottom line, I wouldn't go back even if they offered me a free meal.

1  Thank johnnylawNewYork
Reviewed March 25, 2013

There are so many greeters on the street of Little Italy pushing to get you inside to taste their food, I felt like I was in the Bahamas fighting off women who wanted to braid my hair. That said, Umberto's was our second choice, after my daughter pulled a long hair out of her bread basket two doors down. The outside greeter promised free wine and great food. That's what got us in the door. We were seated at a large table for 6 in the middle of the room, even though there were only three of us. After my husband's chair was bumped 3 times, they asked him to change seats at the table. They came back and told us to push the table closer to the other one. The empty chair was still banged into my knees every time someone walked by. We had our bread and free wine while waiting for water. The red house wine was nice but the zucchini sticks my husband ordered were greasy. While we were waiting for our food, we tried to ignore the enormous TV in the middle of the room showing "60 Minutes" (which was featuring a segment on diving and showed bloody shark bait in amazing high definition.) The music wasn't Italian songs or even Frank Sinatra, it was pop music. The decor was atrocious. Blue and brown with tacky paintings. I was waiting for Robert Irivine to pop out and tell us we were on Restaurant Impossible -before the transformation. My husband sat facing the kitchen, which was open to the dining room. He spotted a large box of Barilla pasta. I asked the waiter if the pasta was home made and he said only certain pastas were - the rest was from a box. I asked if I could change my order to homemade ravioli and was told it was too late. But, the pesto sauce was homemade. Big deal. I was paying $16.95 for pasta from a box - I could do that at home. We asked the waiter for another glass of wine - which didn't arrive until our meal was almost over. Apparently, the bartender who normally not only made drinks but changed the TV stations, was out. We had to ask for more water and our drinks twice. We were bumped repeatedly at our table as waiters walked by us. In fairness, my husband's chicken and daughter's ravioli were fine. The waiter, apologized repeatedly for the inappropriate TV shows displayed. When I asked why there was even a TV in the middle of a restaurant, he said the owner likes to watch sports. I could understand a TV at the bar, but not in the middle of the restaurant. I didn't find the waiter surly, he did offer us a free drink but there was nothing he could do to make it better. I didn't take my leftover boxed pasta meal and we left feeling very disappointed. $80 dollars for the three of us - and that was with free drinks. The greeter said he saw we were unhappy and asked why. When we told him, he basically told us the waiter was incompetent and the owner didn't listen to him about the big TV and bad music. I told him the same thing I'm I'm writing here . "We will not be coming back."